BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A month ago I visited my local tuner to get my M6's speed limiter removed. My tuner told me that he uses the same Vmax module as all the other well-known German tuners like H&S Elektonic, Hartge, G-Power etc., and that the speed limiter is removed completely, making the M5/M6 reach an effective speed of ~320 km/h. Since my M6 is broken in now, I made an attempt on last Sunday to drive my M6 with top speed on the German Autobahn. After hitting 320 km/h on the speedometer (~300 km/h effective speed, I think) ignition was cut and acceleration came to an end with a jerk. Of course, I called my tuner today to tackle him about that still existing speed limter. He answerd that the did experience the same problem with his E60 M5 but doesn't come to grips with it, at the moment. Apparently BMW has installed a 2nd speed limter that is harder to be removed. I searched the Internet and G-Power is the only tuner I could find who offers a 2nd step Vmax module (since June !!!) that opens up the M5/M6 to 330 km/h (effective speed ?!?). I called G-Power to sound him out, but the secretary told me that the only person able to answer my questions is on vacation until next week. I wonder why G-Power is the only tuner capable of removing the speed limiter completely.

I know there are other members who got their speed limiter removed (completely)! What top speed did you guys reach? An effective top speed of 330 km/h would mean at least 350 km/h on the speedometer/HUD, I guess. G-Power will offer a speedometer that reaches 400 km/h for the M5/M6 in the near future.

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Wow. Yes, I have heard that BMW M have the second limiter in place that is really hard to beat. I have not heard anyone that have removed it completely.

Autobahnracer, you are happy with the stability around 300 km/h? Have you surprised any cars in high speed racing?

·
Registered
375 Posts
I visited the IAA show last tuesday and spoke to the G-power rep who was very professional and knowledgeable about the M5. Unfortunatley we did not talk about the limiter but did talk about their R-n-D program for the M5. They are working on a few M5 engines at the moment enlarging them to 5.7L with a predicited output of 650Hp. Maybe the reason for the 400kph speedo. They should be finished around spring next year so it will be interesting to see what they come up with. In addition to two ECU mod programs they also had an exhaust sytem at the show. It does not provide much HP increase but is 10-15% lighter in weight.

Attachments

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gustav said:
Wow. Yes, I have heard that BMW M have the second limiter in place that is really hard to beat. I have not heard anyone that have removed it completely.

Autobahnracer, you are happy with the stability around 300 km/h? Have you surprised any cars in high speed racing?
The M6 is made for the Autobahn and definitely likes extreme high speeds. With my former E39 M5 I only dared driving top speed (~310 km/h on the speedometer) on absolute straights when is was windless. The M6 makes me drive 320 km/h even in slight corners, because it handles so much better. :wroom:

I did not come across a real sport car up to now. No one was able to follow me, let alone to overtake me.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I talked to G-Power 2 month ago about the speed limiter and the removal. At this time the offered mainly the 300km/h option because of unknown aerodynamics at 330km/h. For the full removal they would like to use additional aerodynamic parts to increase the stability. You should check the warranty options by them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts