BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
Perhaps someone (Karl?) may enlighten me on the following:
My 1992 Touring's Vin is WBSHJ91020BL01398.

The tenth number is "0"
All Tourings on the registry have this same "0"

But this tenth numeral should indicate the production year

As Tourings were made from 92 (vin # BL01000) to 95 (vin # BL01944)
they should either have "N" for 92 "P" for 93 "R" for 94 and ""S" for 95.

Another mystery??

Jaime

·
10,456 Posts
i agree, (and said the same thing on the yahoo m5 list) :)

This is documented in the book titled "Original M series, The Restorers Guide..." by Taylor and Dimbelby

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Ciao [email protected]
As already discussed in the e-mail-forum and as mentioned by the other guys
this is obviously an US-only thing.
ALL E34 M5tourings are ECE-models only and thus such an US-rule does NOT apply.
Your -398- M5touring is definately a 93-model-year-car. The very first M5touring of 93-model-year-production is -370-.
-
Breakpoints for model-years, VIN and month of production are all known for the E34 M5touring. For any more details, please do not hesitat to ask.:typing::M5launch:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi, I have a E91 320d ... and my 10th number in the VIN is 0 as well. And mine a European car. Any help to identify the model year?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hi, I have a E91 320d ... and my 10th number in the VIN is 0 as well. And mine a European car. Any help to identify the model year?

Thanks in advance.
Put in your seven last digits on www.realoem.com than will the month your car was made show up if it's made for example 9/06-8/07 it's a 2007 model, with some small exception all BMW made this century break in september for each new model year (Euro-modell that is, US-modell is completey different).

Stephan

·
Registered
143 Posts
Ciao [email protected]
As already discussed in the e-mail-forum and as mentioned by the other guys
this is obviously an US-only thing.
ALL E34 M5tourings are ECE-models only and thus such an US-rule does NOT apply.
Your -398- M5touring is definately a 93-model-year-car. The very first M5touring of 93-model-year-production is -370-.
-
Breakpoints for model-years, VIN and month of production are all known for the E34 M5touring. For any more details, please do not hesitat to ask.:typing::M5launch:
My touring is # 385 and should be produced in 10/92 or am I totally misinformed ??

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
My touring is # 385 and should be produced in 10/92 or am I totally misinformed ??
-
Your car with production date 10/92 (exact date known) is a -model-year 1993-car.
This does NOT mean that the car necessarily must have been produced in 1993. As this is
a quite quite common feature with car-manufacturing, are you not aware of this ?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Put in your seven last digits on www.realoem.com than will the month your car was made show up if it's made for example 9/06-8/07 it's a 2007 model, with some small exception all BMW made this century break in september for each new model year (Euro-modell that is, US-modell is completey different).

Stephan
With the exception of a few ///M Cars, this rule holds true in the US market as well.

·
10,456 Posts
used to be more or less true in the US, new model year cars would be produced beginning sept of the prior year.
Not as much any more, i had an 00 e46 323 that i ordered and was built in 6/99, my 08 535 was built 6/07, and i just received an email to come visit my local dealer to check out the new 550 GT, which i believe is a 2010 model.

Then again, look at my "91" M5, built 3/90...

·
Registered
107 Posts
With the exception of a few ///M Cars, this rule holds true in the US market as well.
I stand corrected. I guess BMW has gotten much sloppier in the U.S. with model year designations. I worked as a tech until about 1994. At that time what I said above was true...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts