1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Wow what a bad start! he spun the wheels AND hit the limiter. I wonder what would of happened with a good start.

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It was a very bad start. I beleive the stock BMW M5 Touring might start on 2nd gear whereas the Supersprnt BMW M5 Tourign started on 1st?

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I just uploaded this video I saw I also have the race from outside at the start. But I cant edit the video so I guess I have upload that as a separate clip sometime. :dunno:

Gustav,

Any chance of including outside video of the race? I'd love to hear the supersprint roar! :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have been thinking this alot. Why so many cars start in first gear? I understand that in some Corvettes or etc which can make over 100km/h with that gear. But like M5 change comes so fastly that it is very hard to believe it is faster way. It can feel like that, but don't think it is.

Also have to remember that the best acceleration of the car is where your torque curve is on top. So even it doesn't feel like that, for a moment best acceleration for M5 (trusting to manuafacture) is in 6100rpm. So what would be the rpm number with second gear at start?

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For the M5 and M6 1st gear is best if you shift to 2nd on the right time, because SMGIII is so lightning fast. Since the M V10 power and torque is so high up in the revband that is really to recommend.

Start on 1st gear:

YouTube - m6board.com presents: BMW M6 vs Porsche 911 Turbo (997)

Start 2nd gear:

YouTube - m6board.com presents: BMW M6 vs Lamborghini Gallardo

Maybe we can time the 50 km/h to 4th gear time and see what is fastest for 1st respectivelt 2nd :dunno:

I have been thinking this alot. Why so many cars start in first gear? I understand that in some Corvettes or etc which can make over 100km/h with that gear. But like M5 change comes so fastly that it is very hard to believe it is faster way. It can feel like that, but don't think it is.

Also have to remember that the best acceleration of the car is where your torque curve is on top. So even it doesn't feel like that, for a moment best acceleration for M5 (trusting to manuafacture) is in 6100rpm. So what would be the rpm number with second gear at start?

·
Registered
37 Posts
For the M5 and M6 1st gear is best if you shift to 2nd on the right time, because SMGIII is so lightning fast. Since the M V10 power and torque is so high up in the revband that is really to recommend.

Start on 1st gear:

YouTube - m6board.com presents: BMW M6 vs Porsche 911 Turbo (997)

Start 2nd gear:

YouTube - m6board.com presents: BMW M6 vs Lamborghini Gallardo

Maybe we can time the 50 km/h to 4th gear time and see what is fastest for 1st respectivelt 2nd :dunno:
I know that SMG is fast, but still it might feel faster than it really is. But the clock would be nice. You should next time use something like this:
RaceChrono - The GPS Lap Timer

I bet someone of you have new Nokia phone and then just buy better 5Hz or 10Hz GPS receiver.

Or if someone has the performance box.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts