BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't find good topic of this, so opened new one (Moderators; if there is topic available, please merge this one to that).

I have video module with 4:3 aspect ratio (from 11/99 car).
Question is, that is there any possibility to "update" that video module to work in 16:9 aspect ratio?
If, how?

I have seen somewhere, that some companies are doing this. But they ask something like ~100e for this. Sounds a bit expenpesive for my ears :)

Also "real" 16:9 video modules are still quite expensive...

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
maybe in SSS/Progman, I know i've seen coding options for that in SSS.

also, aren't broadcasts in digital over there now? Making analog modules obsolete?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
maybe in SSS/Progman, I know i've seen coding options for that in SSS.

also, aren't broadcasts in digital over there now? Making analog modules obsolete?
Hmm, anyidea "where" in Progman you have seen this?
And do you know that is there some restrictions on some video modules what cannot be updated?

Yep, many years know our broadcasts has been only in digital.
My "plan" was first get video module to understand 16:9 aspect ratio, and when it works maybe I can find some external DVB-T box to worki in car... Or install some other video source to car :)
Nowdays I have just skipped the video module, because 4:3 module wont work so well with MKIV and 16:9 screen which I have been retrofitted.

·
Registered
431 Posts
no, no answer here either but why would you want 16:9 ratio anyway on a small 4:3 screen?
you pick up some side detail but at the expense of size.
but let me know when you figure out the cheapest conversion from analog to digital, time is running out for us here in Melbourne and I kinda like watching / listening to the news on the commute...

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no, no answer here either but why would you want 16:9 ratio anyway on a small 4:3 screen?
you pick up some side detail but at the expense of size.
I have updated long time ago my nav screen to 4:3 -> 16:9 and also MKII -> MKIV (also read on my signature) :)

but let me know when you figure out the cheapest conversion from analog to digital, time is running out for us here in Melbourne and I kinda like watching / listening to the news on the commute...
Here in Finland, analog tv has not been working in... hmm... 3 years now I think.
I am not thinking analog->digital conversion yet, have to get 16:9 aspect ratio working first ;)

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I've never seen any way to change a 4:3 TV module to 16:9. I'd guess you might be able to do it by flashing the EEPROM, but that's probably more expensive as a 1 off than getting a 16:9 version.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
It is possible to update the software of the video module by flashing either the EEPROM or with Progman.

Software stand 10 or higher and it has 16:9

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,

Did you ever do the coding mailman? If so could you please offer any advice? I'm comfortable with downloading progman and getting the appropriate cable but can't find anything on the net specific to this problem. I also have a '00 beast and have just upgraded the monitor to a 16:9. My menu is 4:3 with black bars at the side.

Cheers, Mark

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Hi,

Did you ever do the coding mailman? If so could you please offer any advice? I'm comfortable with downloading progman and getting the appropriate cable but can't find anything on the net specific to this problem. I also have a '00 beast and have just upgraded the monitor to a 16:9. My menu is 4:3 with black bars at the side.

Cheers, Mark
That's because of the old TV modle you have. Either bypass it by taking the blue plug out of the TV module and connecting direct to the Nav, or replace the TV module with a newer version that supports 16:9.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks Richard,

I'll try the bypass as soon as I get home. I have no interest in watching tv while I drive and I have a perfectly good lounge room for watching when I'm not. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
With some installs, I'm not sure exactly which (probably option dependent), just swapping the blue plug will result in loss of Nav audio (i.e. direction prompts). You can correct this by swapping some of the pins in the harness over, I can't remember off hand which ones off the top of my head, but if you have this problem let me know and I'll dig it out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks again mate. I'm actually going away for a few days and will have a chance to do fix then but no internet so I'm not being rude if you don't get a bigger thumbs up for a few days.

Cheers

·
Registered
406 Posts
I actually succeeded to do a recode. But you need navcoder and € 20 for the license. it is a 5 min job if you have this tool. Just change the ratio, code and you have the 16:9.
The beta version works with OBD2, so the INPA interface can be used for this.
I did a retrofit from MK3 to MK4, but the MK4 was coded for an E46 business radio+navigation (small arrow screen). Now it is fully functional in 16:9 ratio.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
There is no option that I know of in NavCoder to change the ratio of the TV. Newer TV modules will support either 4:3 or 16:9, older versions will display the 4:3 display with black bars down the side on the 16:9 monitor, unless you update the TV firmware (by reprogramming/replacing the EEPROM) I don't know any way to overcome this.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Sorry, I have missed the video module. I thought it was already wired through the nav computer.:eek:
But on eBay there is a module for less then € 125
bmw tv module e39 | eBay

And otherwise indeed you can bypass the video module by connecting directly in the nav.But if you still get there a 4:3 ratio than you can use Navcoder to change this setting.

I also have TV, but I cannot use it. We do not have the analog signal anymore.

·
Registered
128 Posts
With some installs, I'm not sure exactly which (probably option dependent), just swapping the blue plug will result in loss of Nav audio (i.e. direction prompts). You can correct this by swapping some of the pins in the harness over, I can't remember off hand which ones off the top of my head, but if you have this problem let me know and I'll dig it out.
I did the plug-swap-bypass on my Australian '99 car and suffered no loss of nav audio, so WhatAMachine may be in luck :)

Cheers,
Adam

1 - 20 of 22 Posts