1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Video: Hartge BMW M6 Convertible vs Mercedes SL55 AMG 50-270 km/h

From Supercar Shootout in Sweden 3

Below is the the DVD from Supercar Shootout II in 2007:

PAL <iframe style="width: 120px; height: 240px;" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" src="http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?t=theunoffibmwm5ho&o=1&p=8&l=as1&asins=B0018738MQ&fc1=000000&IS2=1&lt1=_blank&lc1=0000FF&bc1=000000&bg1=FFFFFF&f=ifr" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>NTSC <iframe style="width: 120px; height: 240px;" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" src="http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?t=theunoffibmwm5ho&o=1&p=8&l=as1&asins=B0018SMZPG&fc1=000000&IS2=1&lt1=_blank&lc1=0000FF&bc1=000000&bg1=FFFFFF&f=ifr" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Pretty dead even with advantage to whomever gets the better
jump. Seemed like the M6 was able to gain a tiny bit on the
top end but otherwise a drivers race.

Thanks for the vid!

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I would call it a draw in this race, but it seems apparent that if room was available, the M6 no doubt would take it in all instances.

·
Registered
333 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
I've raced SL55's before and after my mods. Before mods I pulled gradually on it in 3rd and more thereafter. After mods I pull nicely on them. They have excellent traction control. When I raced one from a dig it I had a lot of catching up to do (too much). The guy says he always leaves traction control on and stomps it from a dig. Minimal spin, perfect launch every time.

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, SL55 AMG are easy launchers.

I've raced SL55's before and after my mods. Before mods I pulled gradually on it in 3rd and more thereafter. After mods I pull nicely on them. They have excellent traction control. When I raced one from a dig it I had a lot of catching up to do (too much). The guy says he always leaves traction control on and stomps it from a dig. Minimal spin, perfect launch every time.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I love how they sound so different, the 55 burly and deep, the M6 highpitched F1:M5thumbs:

The M6 was definitely gaining little by little towards the end...

·
Registered
537 Posts
Nice race :cool2:

Are the Hartge Wheels lighter or heavier than the Stock M6 wheels?
And one more thing...

How much slower is the M6 Convertible compared to the M6 coupe? Is it even the around same as the M5 sedan?

Yeah, I know the vertible is heavier..

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1. Hartges are alot heavier.

2. M6 Convertible is significantly slower. My guess is slower than a sedan.

3. It was also tuend bu Hartge, I dont know exactly what is done, but it is a full Hartge BMW M6 Convertible, which helped to gain what it lost on being a convertible and have huge wheels.

Nice race :cool2:

Are the Hartge Wheels lighter or heavier than the Stock M6 wheels?
And one more thing...

How much slower is the M6 Convertible compared to the M6 coupe? Is it even the around same as the M5 sedan?

Yeah, I know the vertible is heavier..

·
Registered
967 Posts
1. Hartges are alot heavier
Heavier and not as good looking as the stocks, who would pay for that kind of up(down)gradeouich

·
Registered
537 Posts
1. Hartges are alot heavier.

2. M6 Convertible is significantly slower. My guess is slower than a sedan.

3. It was also tuend bu Hartge, I dont know exactly what is done, but it is a full Hartge BMW M6 Convertible, which helped to gain what it lost on being a convertible and have huge wheels.
Ah. It was actually tuned by Hartge? Regardless, I heard that the stock M6 Convertible dynos higher than average 430 rear wheel horsepower statistic.

This is due to it being significantly heavier. I heard that it dynoed around 540 horsepower crank. Being so, I believe this is around 40 horses to make up the extra 400 lbs. So it's 10 horsepower for every 100 lbs?

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is not true. That is just wrong that all the BMW M6 convertibles should have some kind of special tuning...

Ah. It was actually tuned by Hartge? Regardless, I heard that the stock M6 Convertible dynos higher than average 430 rear wheel horsepower statistic.

This is due to it being significantly heavier. I heard that it dynoed around 540 horsepower crank. Being so, I believe this is around 40 horses to make up the extra 400 lbs. So it's 10 horsepower for every 100 lbs?

·
Registered
537 Posts
That is not true. That is just wrong that all the BMW M6 convertibles should have some kind of special tuning...
:confused: Perhaps you have misunderstood.

I never said that all M6 Convertibles should have some special tuning. All I said was based on what I have heard in the past about them.

You also said it was tuned by Hartge to "make up for it is being a convertible."

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
There may have been a freak engine that developed more power that just-so happened to be sitting in the M6 Cabriolet you are speaking about. I highly doubt that BMW would specifically give the Cabriolet an advantage on power.

The Hartge tuning of this car (correct me if I am wrong Gustav) consisted of head polishing, ECU, and exhaust. I remember someone saying the owner claims a gain of 50-60 Ps. This information was second hand and not from the owner. Maybe Gustav can verify the data.

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got it and I do not thionk that is correct that the Convertible hasve special engine tuning. However, this one is a full Hartge converted M6 Convertible.

:confused: Perhaps you have misunderstood.

I never said that all M6 Convertibles should have some special tuning. All I said was based on what I have heard in the past about them.

You also said it was tuned by Hartge to "make up for it is being a convertible."

1 - 20 of 27 Posts