BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today the "Utah M5" gang held our first meet and it was fun!

:1:

I had a chance to take some video of the "sound" made by my exhaust system, which consists of EvoSport Headers on one end, and Dinan Freeflow Exhaust on the other......everything in between is stock.
That video can be found as follows:

1. Click on the "Pictures and Video" URL in my signature below.
2. Click on the "Tom's 2006 E60 M5" link
3. Click on the link that starts with "VIDEO"

Please note: You will need Apple's "QuickTime" in order to be able to watch the video. Most everyone should have it, but if you don't, go to www.apple.com for a free download.

Some comments on the "outside" of the car:

1. At points, the microphone on my camcorder is overwhelmed, which results in some distortion and "crackling".....any distortion or "crackling" that you hear is due to the microphone......in person the car sounds "decisively even" from zero-to-redline......no changes at all.

2. The exhaust, in person, has a very low note to it......the reproduction range of the microphone is not sufficient on the "low end" to accurately reproduce to "bass" that the exhaust system puts out.

Some comments from the "inside" of the car:

1. There is no "droning" at idle or anywhere else on the "way up".

2. The volume of the exhaust system inside the car is certainly noticeable, but not overwhelming. The low tone of the exhaust sounds very nice inside and it remains so from zero-to-redline.....the more turns the better things sound.....but you already knew that.

:rolleyes:

Final note......it seems that amidst all the excitement that I hit the windshield wiper stalk......I didn't notice that until I put this video together......I was having too much fun!

:thumbsup: :wroom:eek:uich

The bottom line on the sound that the car makes now with the headers and exhaust, as compared to stock: The car now has a very real "deep throated" sound to it...that only gets better as you wind 'er up! Perhaps some of the other Utah M5ers can offer their opinion?

Let me know if you have any questions

:byee55amg

·
Registered
404 Posts
All I can say is Amazing:grinyes: :flag:

I'm definitely doing the Dinan Exhaust, no headers though. How do you like the Pullies???

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had a chance to take some video of the "sound" made by my exhaust system, which consists of EvoSport Headers on one end, and Dinan Freeflow Exhaust on the other.
Wow.

Wow.

The headers make a huge difference in the exhaust note. I am so tempted right now.

Does Evosport still have a special on the headers?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow.

Wow.

The headers make a huge difference in the exhaust note. I am so tempted right now.

Does Evosport still have a special on the headers?

The headers also make a HUGE difference in performance.....more on that in another thread after some testing and (hopefully) a dyno on a fully stock M5 and my car, which has several mods. As to the pricing, I was too late for the special pricing

:crying:

...but even at "list" they were quite a bit less than the competition....

Obviously I strongly recommend this mod....you will NOT be disappointed!

:grinyes:

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Very Unique sound. Good stuff, Tom! Sounds like the Evo M5, toned down a few big notches. Very silky. Me likes... :M5thumbs:

The exhaust has a very decisive strereo sound to it. Was is the echo from the buildings or is it really like that in person?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very Unique sound. Good stuff, Tom! Sounds like the Evo M5, toned down a few big notches. Very silky. Me likes... :M5thumbs:

The exhaust has a very decisive strereo sound to it. Was is the echo from the buildings or is it really like that in person?
It is like that in person, as heard by a crappy camcorder microphone

:haha:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Update: Warning Lights

As expected, a "Service Engine Soon" light appeared on the dash, and it stays on while the car is on. An "emissions system" warning message appears on iDrive when you first start the car, but it goes off after a minute or two. The only thing about this that was "unexpected" was the number of miles that were on the car when these warnings showed up (I was told ~200.....it was ~100). No big.

I'm researching two ways to deal with this: 1) A GT1 code-reader and programmer, and 2) The EvoSport Stage 2 ECU Upgrade (released in a few weeks). With the GT1, I'm told that I can reset the specific "emissions" fault code (or codes) and thats that. I will then be free to use anyone's ECU upgrade (Dinan for example). If the GT1 solution does not work, I will then have to use the EvoSport Stage 2 ECU upgrade as it deals directly with these fault codes.

Complicating this is the matter of the SMG "D" mode WOT shift from "6" to "7" when you're using Dinan's 3.91 limited-slip differential.....you have to make that shift manually. Dinan has said that some upcoming software will be available (at an additional charge, of course) that fixes this problem. What's unclear at this point is whether this software "fix" is a standalone, or is incorporated into a comprehensive ECU upgrade.

:dunno:

Like I said: I'm researching the matter.....all part of the fun, right?

hmmm

·
Registered
142 Posts
As expected, a "Service Engine Soon" light appeared on the dash, and it stays on while the car is on. An "emissions system" warning message appears on iDrive when you first start the car, but it goes off after a minute or two. The only thing about this that was "unexpected" was the number of miles that were on the car when these warnings showed up (I was told ~200.....it was ~100). No big.
Would a simple "MIL eliminator" (or O2 sensor simulator) do the trick for the secondary O2 sensors? They sell these things for lots of other cars, and they're pretty inexpensive.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Would a simple "MIL eliminator" (or O2 sensor simulator) do the trick for the secondary O2 sensors? They sell these things for lots of other cars, and they're pretty inexpensive.
I don't know the answer that question directly, but I have heard of people "wrapping" some heat resistant material around the headers near the O2 sensor(s) and fooling the system that way by raising the local temperature......this sounds like the same thing, and not too hard to do.

THANKS for the name of the device that one would use!

:lightbulb:

·
Registered
366 Posts
Holy Sh*t Tom....those headers sound A M A Z I N G ! ! ! What a difference they make compared to when you only had the Dinan rear mufflers.

Aside from the sound, how do you like the performance of the headers? Is the yielded power from them noticeable? Worth the cost? What was the total cost of them installed?

Congrats.....your Beast has been elevated to a serious new level!

-Tom

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Aside from the sound, how do you like the performance of the headers? Is the yielded power from them noticeable? Worth the cost? What was the total cost of them installed?

I had the EvoSport “Power Pulley” kit installed at the same time that the headers were installed, so please keep that in mind. To answer your question, YES…….I LOVE the performance of the headers……all I have right now is the “butt dyno” to go by, but the car is very strong across the RPM range…..while it only took a matter of seconds to hit redline at 100 MPH+ before, it feels like it takes a second or two less now. (again, judging by the butt dyno). As fast as I can squeeze the paddles I need to squeeze them again until I’m in 4th gear…..then it takes a bit to hit redline…..and I zip right by 100 MPH…..all the while I am set back in my seat

:sprint00:

On the cost, I found EvoSport to be very competitive, and they are on this board all the time, so that helped drive my decision……the other mod I have done that is roughly in the same cost area is the 3.91 limited-slip differential. That did NOT provide a WOW across the board like the headers did, but
it did provide the WOW on the low end…off the line, out of the pocket, etc. An excellent mod as well!

:eek:h:

I paid $4,500 for the headers, $600 for the PowerPulley kit, and about $2,000 for labor, which included 8 quarts of oil and a filter. Not cheap, but not outrageous given the amount of time-intensive work everything took.

'hope this helps!

·
Registered
503 Posts
I am curious Tom how fast your car is now. It would be great to see some times or races. Hint, hint...

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am curious Tom how fast your car is now. It would be great to see some times or races. Hint, hint...
I am working on a dyno test for both a stock car and my car.....as far as some track work, I need to find out if there are facilities out there that can help.....one would think that my proximity to the Bonneville Salt Flats would mean that a 1/4 track is out there somewhere....we have a really nice track track.....but again, confessing my ignorance....I don't know about a 1/4 mile facility.

So much to do! :eek:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Did you decide how you would like to clear your SES light yet? I am curious what route, after your research, was the best bet.

Thanks-

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As soon as EvoSport comes out with their Stage II ECU software that will clear the light and add some performance enhancements. The car is at the dealer right now and a rather cooperative SA told me that he could clear that light for me as well.....

We'll see about that.

Aside from content, the only difference between Dinan's software and anyone else's is that the dealer will re-flash for free.....in the case of EvoSport, if BMW flashes an upgrade, I will need to remove the ECU, send it to EvoSPort for re-flash, then reinstall.....with overnight mail it takes ~3 days.

I do have to put in a good word for my dealer, BMW of Murray, in Utah. The service guys could care less about any mods......they skip right over everything I have done, and most of them ask questions about how the mods work. I don't know what I was expecting, but its been good.
:1:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts