BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Best video yet. With a few notable exceptions, mercifully devoid of the inane drifting.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
I don't have a clue what they said but judging from all the laughing, they must of had a blast. Great video anyway.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Terk said:
I don't have a clue what they said but judging from all the laughing, they must of had a blast. Great video anyway.
Thoose norweigans, not to be taken all to seriously... :byee55amg

·
Registered
42 Posts
Tommy Rustad is actually a local rally hero from my neighborhood. He was always in the local paper when I was in highschool. Too funny.

The commentary is not very technical. They're basically just talking about how sweet that car is. They both have experience with M3s and talk about how they expected the M5 to feel heavier and harder to move around, but that it totally blows them away how nimble it is. The gears get a 10 out of 10 he says.

That show is never very geeky/tech oriented, it's mostly him getting super excited about super cars.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Awesome! Yup dont understand what they're saying but who cares! I understand the car. LOL :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Nimbus said:
Hahaha :1:

·
Registered
646 Posts
God i think i'm getting obsessed here - yet again puts our 5th Gear test to shame!! What a great video, obviously the guys are loving it, the car looks FAST, and the engine 'blipping' on the downchanges WOW!! :hihi:

·
Registered
2009 M6 Coupe 24000 miles Saphire Black
1,797 Posts
Nimbus said:
grrrrrrr oh.. no ?

This is from the program "Autofil"

Tommy is still racing as a pro and doing well.
The other tiny one, is just a fun guy loving to drive cars.

Not my favorite show, but they do make som nice track videos.

BTW Tommy is a true BMW M fan :cheers:

He drove the new Viper to had made som powerslides you would not belive.....

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
A small side not to that video.

They said in an Earlier video that the Viper reached 190 kph at the braking point, that was at the time 15 kph more than the earlier record held by the M3. With the M5 they reached a indicated 192 kph at the samepoint. This actually does not mean much since it is only indicated speed an we have no idea on how optimistic the indicaters are, but both are more or less equaly quick at the end of the straigh. the Viper did a 1.05.xx lap and was much faster than the M5. The strange thing is that Tommy ( the driver) guessed a laptime faster than the Viper after a hotlap in the M5, but was wrong in his estimate for the first time ever. He is normaly spot on estimating laptimes.
They did a 1.09.xx, which was way slower than I expected and also what he guess, and I actually belive it was something wrong with the timing.
The reasson is that 1.09 is my PB in a 1998 BMW M Coupe ( 321 Hp) and that does not add up.
And any sub 1min 10 lap is very fast on this track. Sub 1 min requires a fullblood race car or a superbike.
One reasson could be that they used a manual stopwatch so the timing is not 100% accurat and was mainly done for fun.

On a side note, when driving that track in our B7 Coupe I reach excactly 190 Kph before my braking point...... Guess my speed indicator is a bit to optimistic

·
Registered
344 Posts
You won't get a 4 sec. difference with stop watch, I seriously doubt M5 would be faster than the Viper on a track. Contrary to what people like to think of American sport car, Viper does go around the track pretty fast(still prefer the Vette, especially the new Z06).

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
clee19821013 said:
You won't get a 4 sec. difference with stop watch, I seriously doubt M5 would be faster than the Viper on a track. Contrary to what people like to think of American sport car, Viper does go around the track pretty fast(still prefer the Vette, especially the new Z06).
Agree with you in that. I did not mean to say that I belived the M5 to beat the Viper on a track. My main concern was that the M5 did NOT beat my own PB. And that seem strange for 2 main reassons.

1. Tommy Rustad is way out of my league
2. The M5 is much faster than the M Coupe,even thoug this is a Mickey Mouse track.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Erik said:
Agree with you in that. I did not mean to say that I belived the M5 to beat the Viper on a track. My main concern was that the M5 did NOT beat my own PB. And that seem strange for 2 main reassons.

1. Tommy Rustad is way out of my league
2. The M5 is much faster than the M Coupe,even thoug this is a Mickey Mouse track.
hum, worn out tires on the testing M5? By the way isn't M coupe like 700lb lighter than M5 (or more?), I guess that's possible on a tight track.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
clee19821013 said:
hum, worn out tires on the testing M5? By the way isn't M coupe like 700lb lighter than M5 (or more?), I guess that's possible on a tight track.

From what I have heard from guys present at the test, the tires was not worn out, at least not in the begining at the day.

And yes the difference in weight is app 700 Ib.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i dont thigk in smth wider that m coupe could even see the m5 .m5 is not made for the truck
nice drifts on the video(actually tha nicest i ve seeen m till now) mmmmmm

1 - 19 of 19 Posts