BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
BMW M6 Coupe vs Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder E Gear 520 HP 50-270 km/h

Below is the the DVD from Supercar Shootout II in 2007:

PAL <IFRAME style="WIDTH: 120px; HEIGHT: 240px" marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?t=theunoffibmwm5ho&o=1&p=8&l=as1&asins=B0018738MQ&fc1=000000&IS2=1&lt1=_blank&lc1=0000FF&bc1=000000&bg1=FFFFFF&f=ifr" frameBorder=0 scrolling=no></IFRAME>NTSC <IFRAME style="WIDTH: 120px; HEIGHT: 240px" marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?t=theunoffibmwm5ho&o=1&p=8&l=as1&asins=B0018SMZPG&fc1=000000&IS2=1&lt1=_blank&lc1=0000FF&bc1=000000&bg1=FFFFFF&f=ifr" frameBorder=0 scrolling=no></IFRAME>

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Lambo pwn'ed by a STOCK M6 brother! :cheers:

·
Registered
324 Posts
See http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2729906

Also some guys over there believe a tuned 335 will stay with the M6 for awhile..... If you are in Socal feel free to read the thread and offer to run in a safe private forum.

As a Owner of a 335 Chipped, and a soon to be M6 owner I must say that yes, a modded 335 will hold up with a M6 in acceleration until a certain point (probably aroun 180-200kmh).. thereafter the M6 will pull.

The chipped 335 puts down about 450hp and 400 torque (dyno number). That torque is what gives its low end acceleration the ability to run with the M6 up to a point and possibly even nose it out for a few seconds.. Dont be so quick to condem the 335, it is a Powerful beast and a Hell of a lot more fun to drive around town with its massive torque.

In the end, Both cars are BMW so be happy with what a modded ittle brother 335 can do.. No need to hate here.. I must also add that with intercoolers, intakes and exhaust system the car will do even better, however after a certain point the Turbos loose there push from all the heat generated to get up there and the NA M6 and its gearing will pull away..

Both have their advantages, althought the M6 is still much prettier and has the M characteristic. You can also youtube videos of modded 335's running with M6s up to a point.. Its very real. Im an avid member on this site and e90post so I know its not just propaganda..

Cheers

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
As a Owner of a 335 Chipped, and a soon to be M6 owner I must say that yes, a modded 335 will hold up with a M6 in acceleration until a certain point (probably aroun 180-200kmh).. thereafter the M6 will pull.

The chipped 335 puts down about 450hp and 400 torque (dyno number). That torque is what gives its low end acceleration the ability to run with the M6 up to a point and possibly even nose it out for a few seconds.. Dont be so quick to condem the 335, it is a Powerful beast and a Hell of a lot more fun to drive around town with its massive torque.

In the end, Both cars are BMW so be happy with what a modded ittle brother 335 can do.. No need to hate here.. I must also add that with intercoolers, intakes and exhaust system the car will do even better, however after a certain point the Turbos loose there push from all the heat generated to get up there and the NA M6 and its gearing will pull away..

Both have their advantages, althought the M6 is still much prettier and has the M characteristic. You can also youtube videos of modded 335's running with M6s up to a point.. Its very real. Im an avid member on this site and e90post so I know its not just propaganda..

Cheers

Rambino, I have both a 335 and M6.... I will concede traction issues on the M6 where the 335 tuned would hold well against an M6 but once the M6 hits second gear, it will walk a tuned 335.

The achilles heel of the M6 is traction from a dig.

The funniest rumor is the M6 is fast only at high speeds.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
M6 said "bye, bye" to the Lambo....love it!

·
Registered
341 Posts
M power...

Once again M power shows it strength. Great Vid as always Gustav :cheers:

·
Registered
110 Posts
I would like to see some of these races from a a complete stop. With the M6s weight becoming a non factor with roll racing, the lighter cars pretty much lose their advantage.

Either way nice race.

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Gallardo would have an advantage from a standign start also thanks to 4WD.

I would like to see some of these races from a a complete stop. With the M6s weight becoming a non factor with roll racing, the lighter cars pretty much lose their advantage.

Either way nice race.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I never driven the M6 and so I could not compare BUT I went to San Giovanni to test drive the Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder last month and I can feel there was so much power undertap - more than the E60 M5 I have. The grip was so good around the corners especially around the mountains which I drive to and back.

Link attached below and read it more:
http://forum.evotechnik.net/showthread.php?t=21565&highlight=lamborghini

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, they are ahard to come by. But we had a Gallardo SE not convertible that we made a few runs with :thumbsup:

Impressive...most impressive Gustav.!!!
Have you thought about maybe trying to get a Lambo Superleggera out to the next runs.
Great work !!!

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
With the M6s weight becoming a non factor with roll racing
How do you explain this? Other than the fuel being burned, the mass of the vehicle (whether from a roll or stationary) is going to be the same.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
How do you explain this? Other than the fuel being burned, the mass of the vehicle (whether from a roll or stationary) is going to be the same.
As a percentage of the resistance for a car at highspeed, the forces required to over come inertia caused by a few hundred pounds is inconsequential to the aero forces and even drivetrain losses are more significant than weight.

It is relative....

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you were to race a lighter car with the same hp, your best bet would be to go from a roll. Going from a complete stop would give the lighter car the natural advantage.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
If you were to race a lighter car with the same hp, your best bet would be to go from a roll. Going from a complete stop would give the lighter car the natural advantage.
A lighter car with the same HP (same force) will always win whether or not it is done from a roll or from a standstill. The variables would be drag (rolling resistance from the tires, drive train loss), the time it takes to change the gears, or the usable RPM ranges for the optimum power output based on the transmission. You have to remember that each engine's max power output is based on a specific RPM range. The closer the gearing, the sooner the car will attain the optimum RPM for power production. This is what makes the 7 speed SMG so good, but not as good as the M3's DKG box.

The bottom line is--whether from a roll or from a stop, mass affects each car continuously through acceleration. Here is a simple formula which shows the acceleration formula (a=F/m).

·
Registered
110 Posts
A lighter car with the same HP (same force) will always win whether or not it is done from a roll or from a standstill. The variables would be drag (rolling resistance from the tires, drive train loss), the time it takes to change the gears, or the usable RPM ranges for the optimum power output based on the transmission. You have to remember that each engine's max power output is based on a specific RPM range. The closer the gearing, the sooner the car will attain the optimum RPM for power production. This is what makes the 7 speed SMG so good, but not as good as the M3's DKG box.

The bottom line is--whether from a roll or from a stop, mass affects each car continuously through acceleration. Here is a simple formula which shows the acceleration formula (a=F/m).

Yes but mass becomes less of an factor while the car is moving. Simply put, it doesn't take as much effort to push or pull something that is already moving vs doing it from a stand still.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts