BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5 E39 Dinan
2,248 Posts
Since I did the http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/185674-diy-video-bmw-m5-e39-fuel-pump.html.. it's also a good idea to the fuel filter to give your pump a real fresh start. Here's the fuel filter DIY video.

<object width="1000" height="593"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3g1BRj_OiDk?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3g1BRj_OiDk?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="1000" height="593"></embed></object>

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I did my fuel filter R & R a bit small bit differently but no worries. Thanks for taking the time to make this & post it up. The vid looks good & we especially like the very end of it... ! :cheers:

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
If you ginsu your old one open, or if you have any observations about throttle smoothing afterwards -- we're all ears. Thanks.

·
4,395 Posts
TIP:
the JACK-PAD has 1 big rivet making the easiest to remove or loosen so you can avoid having to yank the belly pan from under it

NOTE:
I also never removed my regulator - i loosely hung the filter and tightened it to the regulator before tightening the brackets

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5 E39 Dinan
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I could not get filter and regulator apart without removing both and popping them loose while on the bench. I would have broke all underside trying to do it there.

I am not sure on the jack-pad rivet function, but I loosened the plastic so I can put it under the jack-pad and not squeeze it between jack-pad and car.

This DIY is by no means perfect but gives an idea.

TIP:
the JACK-PAD has 1 big rivet making the easiest to remove or loosen so you can avoid having to yank the belly pan from under it

NOTE:
I also never removed my regulator - i loosely hung the filter and tightened it to the regulator before tightening the brackets

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5 E39 Dinan
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
During cold start up I now notice my throttle is smoother a little. I haven't really driven at all since replacing filter but car is definitely more awake and with faster response. But I also replaced my fuel pump.

If you ginsu your old one open, or if you have any observations about throttle smoothing afterwards -- we're all ears. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Great quality video as always! Thanks Terabass.

·
4,395 Posts
I could not get filter and regulator apart without removing both and popping them loose while on the bench. I would have broke all underside trying to do it there.

I am not sure on the jack-pad rivet function, but I loosened the plastic so I can put it under the jack-pad and not squeeze it between jack-pad and car.

This DIY is by no means perfect but gives an idea.
not criticizing just commenting based on my experience

and yeah i forgot about the jackpad, once you pull out its pin it loosens plenty to slip the shields out from underneath

*the jack pad itself is a rivet and it has 1 big pin that takes a little work to get a good hold on*
*then pad still has 2 wedges that hold it in place*
*they run along the sides so if you get something thin enough to slip between the pad and the car you can push them in and the pad should drop off*

·
Registered
416 Posts
Great Video. Thanks.I pulled the fuse for the fuel pump in the trunk. I also hit schraeder valve just to be sure. Nothing came out though.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Excellent. All DIY's should be videos of this caliber and not incoherent text of some nut who always says one of the tools is a beer...

·
Registered
524 Posts
you've taken this to another level, makes me want to drive my car immediately, top job again...............

·
Registered
100 Posts
Great work Terabass! :applause:

Given your previous photographic output, however, was surprised at the lack of scantily clad ladies in the vid? Or are you just saving them for your upcoming release on changing the rod bearings... :1:

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5 E39 Dinan
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Great work Terabass! :applause:

Given your previous photographic output, however, was surprised at the lack of scantily clad ladies in the vid? Or are you just saving them for your upcoming release on changing the rod bearings... :1:
Exactly. You read my mind, litrally. Gotta save some real good good for later.

Serious though, imagine if we all chipped in or m5_board did for parts, and you did the diy's, you would get new parts free of charge and we would get the best diy's.

That also sounds like a great idea.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts