BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just a little example of this past weekends track event at VIR this past weekend. With the new paved surface and the widen of several areas, it was like learning the track all over again. It was a little more slick, but that was to be expected. The beast ran very well!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbiPUd3Tx4E

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Neat.

PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT OWN AN M5 AND THIS POST IS NOT INTENDED TO BE ARROGANT. PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT REVISED DISCLAIMER THAT APPLIES TO THIS POST

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Boy that looks like a lot of fun!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Awesome, what video camera did you use?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome, what video camera did you use?
Thanks. Just my IPhone 4 with Harrys' Lap Timer. I was also running a GroPro 3Plus, but have yet to edit the footage and post.

Reactions: chowdah

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Nice run! Is that HLT Petrohead edition?

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
Ah, north course. Nice! Have you run full yet? Oak Tree turn is sooo different with the tree down and all the repaving/widening work. Redshift said he met you at the Patriot course event a few weeks back...it would have been nice if they repaved all of Patriot too and widened it some.

Regards,
Chuck

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah, north course. Nice! Have you run full yet? Oak Tree turn is sooo different with the tree down and all the repaving/widening work. Redshift said he met you at the Patriot course event a few weeks back...it would have been nice if they repaved all of Patriot too and widened it some.

Regards,
Chuck
Hey Chuck,

I have not run VIR full since the repaving and without the Oak Tree.....I'm sure its going to be a big change. I'll be running it at the end of this month with BMWCCA-Tarheel. Looking forward to it.

By the way Chuck, thanks for your input on track setups, the M5 is running great lap times for the land yacht she is. Let's just say, everyone is amazed at the old girl out on the track. I don't give many point by's :biggrinbounce:

Reactions: CSBM5

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice run! Is that HLT Petrohead edition?
No, I have the Grand Prix Edition. It allows you to link the GroPro Hero 3 Plus with data, which I'll be working on this weekend.

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
Hey Chuck,

I have not run VIR full since the repaving and without the Oak Tree.....I'm sure its going to be a big change. I'll be running it at the end of this month with BMWCCA-Tarheel. Looking forward to it.

By the way Chuck, thanks for your input on track setups, the M5 is running great lap times for the land yacht she is. Let's just say, everyone is amazed at the old girl out on the track. I don't give many point by's :biggrinbounce:
Yeah, I was wondering how the alignment situation was working out. What level of negative camber were you able to get with your setup?

Here is one guy's recent video of the new full course. He's moving right along lap-time-wise but is missing turn-ins and apexes in a number of spots.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
one day i will run on vir its on the bucket list. love the fact you passed the s2000

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
one day i will run on vir its on the bucket list. love the fact you passed the s2000
It would have been game over for the 4 banger in the first 30 sec if it was on the full course. Super jelly of folks with VIR in their backyard so to speak.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
what timing system is harry using i like it

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
yes we know but he caught him in the bends and the s2000 weighs alot less then a m5

It would have been game over for the 4 banger in the first 30 sec if it was on the full course. Super jelly of folks with VIR in their backyard so to speak.

Reactions: bimmerule

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
Yep, it's a really sweet place. South course layout is fun too, more so to me than North course. Back in 2005 the BMWCCA O'fest was held there, and we had a great "autocross" course on the Patriot course section. There is a pretty cool site with the history of VIR...most probably don't realize that it was resurrected in ~1998-2000 after having been left for dead in 1974.

Here's part of the course Claude zipped up through as it looked in 1998:

More here: VIR - Virginia International Raceway History

Cheers,
Chuck

P.S. They have a skidpad too, not a great one, but ok for some basic instruction. Here's a pic from the old days with my son riding along:

Attachments

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yes we know but he caught him in the bends and the s2000 weighs alot less then a m5
The S2000 was a stripper, so even less weight.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, I was wondering how the alignment situation was working out. What level of negative camber were you able to get with your setup?

Here is one guy's recent video of the new full course. He's moving right along lap-time-wise but is missing turn-ins and apexes in a number of spots.

-2.4 was the max I was able to get on the right side.

Reactions: CSBM5
1 - 20 of 22 Posts