·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's more like a stop sign to stop sign kinda life :D

·
Registered
431 Posts
Nice times, give the E60 a year or so like the E55 motor has been out so we can do some mods as well. I am sure we will be running right there as soon as the MOD guys start playing with the V10 as this motor "just came out". I love these guys that mod the car after the performance guys have had 4 years to tinker with a motor and then come over to a board and compair it to a brand new motor that just came out. We could very well send you a track video of a STOCK m5 and you can eat our shorts. What a kid.....But very funny. The

Mercedes is a very nice car, my grandfather and his buddies loves theirs.hiha

·
Registered
127 Posts
m5floyd said:
Nice times, give the E60 a year or so like the E55 motor has been out so we can do some mods as well. I am sure we will be running right there as soon as the MOD guys start playing with the V10 as this motor "just came out". I love these guys that mod the car after the performance guys have had 4 years to tinker with a motor and then come over to a board and compair it to a brand new motor that just came out. We could very well send you a track video of a STOCK m5 and you can eat our shorts. What a kid.....But very funny. The

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
m5floyd said:

As much as I agree with you, I disagree with you at the same time.
It's a four year (old?) newer motor. You shouldn't have to have another four years for modifications to get you to the E55 level.

BMW has had three (four?, whatever amount) years to work on an entire package that could beat the E55. To say that they need another year or so, to get to the level that E55's have gotten is kinda silly.

I dunno, maybe that's just me.

·
Registered
431 Posts
vraa said:
As much as I agree with you, I disagree with you at the same time.
It's a four year (old?) newer motor. You shouldn't have to have another four years for modifications to get you to the E55 level.

BMW has had three (four?, whatever amount) years to work on an entire package that could beat the E55. To say that they need another year or so, to get to the level that E55's have gotten is kinda silly.

I dunno, maybe that's just me.
not sure what you mean when you say beat it? Euro "where the cars are made" consider highway/track speeds beating it, not 1/4 mile so much. So, I would say, time well spent.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
My mistake. Anything really over mid tripe digit speeds never concerned to me. :)

But that's all and dandy, I don't want to create another thread here about the M5. I'm sick and tired already seeing them at my home forum. :D
I just created this to kinda show off what E55's can do, and throw in a little rivalry humor.

·
Premium Member
8,803 Posts
vraa said:
My mistake. Anything really over mid tripe digit speeds never concerned to me. :)

But that's all and dandy, I don't want to create another thread here about the M5. I'm sick and tired already seeing them at my home forum. :D
I just created this to kinda show off what E55's can do, and throw in a little rivalry humor.
As long as it's done in good fun you're more than welcome to post your E55 info here. :byebye:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
kees said:
As long as it's done in good fun you're more than welcome to post your E55 info here. :byebye:
I don't have an E55 personally :) I have an X5.

Who drags with three passengers? Or is that a joke I'm missing out on?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I have perused the Mbworld forums after following links from here and, simply stated, they are different car guys. Go look at the "how many BMW's have you owned" thread on this board. Many here have had multiple //M cars since 1990 or before. They are sports sedan lovers. They like to brake and turn and accelerate. Many will say the E30 M3 was their favorite. A relatively slow, torqueless car. Mercedes has always made an AMG equal to or pretty darn close to the //M cars in power--that is nothing new (E34 M5 v. 500e; E39M5 v. prior E55). They have always been inferior in handling and continue to be.

I just smile at these guys that buy $96k performance cars and say they never see triple digits. It is just as illegal to punch it in an E55 to 80mph. The only "playing" I have done with any other car over the last 7 years in my M5 has always been on the freeway. Since my average cruising speed is 80mph+ I pretty much am at triple digits at my first redline shift. Honestly, if traffic is light, it is much safer to play on the freeway than from a stoplight on a big boulevard somewhere. THAT is where people get killed. But hey, if you guys are comfortable hanging out at a dragstrip on a Friday or Saturday night kudos to you. I save the few hall passes my wife grants me for days at a real track.

So, once Mercedes or someone else comes out with something faster than the E55 what do you do? There is nothing else to enjoy about your car while an M5 owner can continue to enjoy the balance and handling of his car and the unique visceral experience of a screaming V10.

E55 owner are WAY more obsessed with the 1/4 mile times because that is all they have.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Oh, just noticed you live in Texas. I guess I would be in to straight line as well. ;)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I love straight lines, and I love turns.
But hey, haven't you guys seen the 10.95 run by DerekFSU? That's awesome!
Or what about the runs around (Oh I can't remember what track) by Rafal?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
"runs," "launching," "from a dig," all words not in my vocabulary when driving cars. After 5 years tracking my car I find the most rewarding aspect of driving is the transition point from full braking to turn in or trailbraking. How a car behaves under those circumstances I find the most telling of its engineering and the skill of the guy behind the wheel.

Much of 1/4 mile success is simply a function of money. Buy an expensive fast car, pay someone to tune it and brag about your 1/4 mile times. How is it an accomplishment, for example, to spend $185k on a twin turbo 12 cylinder Mercedes, pay Renntech a bundle, put drag radials on it and mash your foot down?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
KKelly, I think you're underestimating the difficulty of doing a great run.

But I'm not here to change your mind, I just wanted to start a quick fight, but that was ages ago. :D

Just sharing what's happening on the other side of the pond ya know?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
In an automatic? Really? Try turning a 1:50 at Laguna in a Spec Miata. That is the kind of stuff I admire.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I never said that's easy. I'm just saying there's lots of stuff that goes into making fast runs, that's why not every Benz is running a 10.95.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I'm just saying there's lots of stuff that goes into making fast runs, that's why not every Benz is running a 10.95.
Yes, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.... :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts