BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
None of the dealers had it but Charlie at BMW SF was kind enough to do some research and found me an indie that did have the sticker...man I feel a bit guilty about my usual pessimism regarding dealers!:rolleyes:

Anyhow Vanguard Motors on 10th Street in SF has them.

pn is 01 00 0 141 034

·
Registered
197 Posts
Nice work tracking down the actual part number.

·
Registered
962 Posts
crown auto shows the pn and $0.35 price...good find!

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
The stickers have a p/n because they were specified for M3s as part of the rod bearing recall campaign for the early e46 motors.

·
Registered
632 Posts
can i ask what the point is?
To ensure that a mechanic doesn't put 5W/30 in a facelift car, as the OP would like TWS 10W/60 which has been proven to be the best oil for all years of the M5 (runs and duck for cover :ices_angel_g: )

·
Registered
426 Posts
Depending on what year your M5 is, you most likely should be using the TWS 10-60. That is all I use in the car, that is what BMW calls for in S62 engine.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The second owner of my car wasn't using 10-60 TWS by castrol. When I got her I had a bad timing chain slap on start up. It seems the timing chain tensioner was loseing it tension overnight. 5 oil changes later at 1500 mile intervals, it doesn't slap anymore. I have heard of guys putting different weight oils in their M5's and I wonder why? I own a mechanics shop for 18 years now and know that a manufacturer does things for a reason. The engineers designed these vehicles to use a certain brand of products, And to pevent a headache, I will use the OEM product in my own cars. More so with the electronics.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have an 03 and mine has a little label indicating 10W60 if I remember correctly. Maybe a EU vs US thing...

·
10,458 Posts
To ensure that a mechanic doesn't put 5W/30 in a facelift car, as the OP would like TWS 10W/60 which has been proven to be the best oil for all years of the M5 (runs and duck for cover :ices_angel_g: )
if you go to a dealer for service, they pay no attention to the decal under the hood. The tech submits the parts request to the parts counter, they parts guy pulls parts based on your vin, so in general, unless you specifically request tws, you'll likely get 5w30 in a post 3/00 production car, unless your dealer is pushing for the posible higher profit margin that they might get on tws.

·
Registered
244 Posts
if you go to a dealer for service, they pay no attention to the decal under the hood. The tech submits the parts request to the parts counter, they parts guy pulls parts based on your vin, so in general, unless you specifically request tws, you'll likely get 5w30 in a post 3/00 production car, unless your dealer is pushing for the posible higher profit margin that they might get on tws.
I believe this too. That way they are covered by BMW if something would go wrong. Here in Belgium, or at least my dealer, refers to the 10W60 as "M-oil" and I'm pretty sure when they call up my VIN, 10W60 will show. I'll check next time when I'm around... which will be soon (Inspection II due in 2 weeks :eek:).

·
Registered
526 Posts
I work for Castrol.
TWS is our top top tier product.
You want the best in our range for your //M car, use TWS

·
Registered
244 Posts
I work for Castrol.
TWS is our top top tier product.
You want the best in our range for your //M car, use TWS
Could you confirm whether or not the new castol edge (not the sport) is more or less the same as the TWS oils which was previously a BMW only product? I believe that on the edge canister there is something mentioned about BMW M vehicules...

·
Registered
526 Posts
The problem with Castrol is that the product branding and formulations can vary country to country. Edge is a good example of this. I'm not sure of the formulation used in Belgium.

TWS is standardised across the world. We in fact source ex Europe as a finished product. TWS is formulated to meet the specs BMW want for their //M cars.

Sorry cant help you on this one

1 - 20 of 27 Posts