BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Since I got my wheels I've always had a vibration from about 45-60 mph. I've had them balanced 3 times and it doesn't appear to be a balancing issue. America's tire suggested I remove the wheel spacers and I did, the problem went away. I purchased new spacers (TMS) and installed them today, the vibration is back. Sigh.

What am I missing? What's the proper way to install a wheel/tire with spacers? I'm using a torque wrench at 88.5 ft/lbs, star pattern. I can't figure this one out.

·
Registered
87 Posts
"Since you got your wheels" implies you have aftermarket wheels on the car, not replacement or refinished OEM, correct?
Are the spacers because you need them to make you wider wheels/tires fit, or because you want it to look like a steam roller?
Does the vibration feel left to right in the wheel, or up down in the suspension?
Does the vibration change with the EDC on level 2?
Does it change around corners?

·
Registered
690 Posts
Hi All,

Since I got my wheels I've always had a vibration from about 45-60 mph. I've had them balanced 3 times and it doesn't appear to be a balancing issue. America's tire suggested I remove the wheel spacers and I did, the problem went away. I purchased new spacers (TMS) and installed them today, the vibration is back. Sigh.

What am I missing? What's the proper way to install a wheel/tire with spacers? I'm using a torque wrench at 88.5 ft/lbs, star pattern. I can't figure this one out.
Torque specifications for the spacers/extended lugs from TMS are 90 ft/lbs.

I'm running H&R 12mm spacers (with the TMS extended lugs) on the OEM 19's and Michelin PSS's.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Before mounting the spacers is the hub area clean from corrosion?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Probably a silly question (not sure if it could cause vibration), but are you using the correct length lug bolts?

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm guessing the aftermarket wheels might need hub centric rings that go between the spacers and the wheels.

Reactions: cleoent

·
Registered
202 Posts
Torque specifications for the spacers/extended lugs from TMS are 90 ft/lbs.

I'm running H&R 12mm spacers (with the TMS extended lugs) on the OEM 19's and Michelin PSS's.
Do you have rubbing issues? I just switched to the PSS from PS2 and my car now rubs all over the place. H&R Springs and TMS 12.5mm spacers (I can't believe a half mm makes a difference). About to ditch the spacers.

With respect to the OP, spacers push the weight out further and can exacerbate worn suspension components. Is all your stuff in top shape? Also, as another person mentioned, check for corrosion.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Do you have rubbing issues? I just switched to the PSS from PS2 and my car now rubs all over the place. H&R Springs and TMS 12.5mm spacers (I can't believe a half mm makes a difference). About to ditch the spacers.
In general, no rubbing issues. However, I do get the occasional rub at highways speeds when hitting a bump, etc. Can't really complain; love the look! Perhaps you can run 10mm in the rear and 12mm in the front?

·
Registered
202 Posts
In general, no rubbing issues. However, I do get the occasional rub at highways speeds when hitting a bump, etc. Can't really complain; love the look! Perhaps you can run 10mm in the rear and 12mm in the front?
My rubbing is pretty bad. Am going to try a 10mm spacer this weekend that a friend has. If that is no good, 5mm spacer. I NEVER rubbed with the stock PS2s. Really happy with the price and quality of PSS. Really disappointed with the pretty significant size increase.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm using hub centric spacers. From what I can see the hubs are clean, and the spacers are sitting flat. I'm wondering if it is my technique on tightening down the wheel and applying the torque.

Here's what i do.

mount wheel/tire, insert lug nuts and lightly bolt in all 5. Then use impact wrench on all five in start pattern. Lower car, torque lug nuts in star pattern to 90 ft/lbs.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm using hub centric spacers. From what I can see the hubs are clean, and the spacers are sitting flat. I'm wondering if it is my technique on tightening down the wheel and applying the torque.

Here's what i do.

mount wheel/tire, insert lug nuts and lightly bolt in all 5. Then use impact wrench on all five in start pattern. Lower car, torque lug nuts in star pattern to 90 ft/lbs.
You should not be using an impact wrench to tighten lugs. Are the lugs even moving when you break out the torque wrench? Hand tighten in star pattern, lower, then torque in star pattern. Re-torque after 60 miles.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You should not be using an impact wrench to tighten lugs. Are the lugs even moving when you break out the torque wrench? Hand tighten in star pattern, lower, then torque in star pattern. Re-torque after 60 miles.
OK, will give this a shot and see if it helps, and yes the lugs move when i use torque wrench.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I installed my TMS 12.5mm spacers last night, there was corrosion on each hub and in the grooves around the center of the hub. I made sure the spacer holes and hub holes were aligned perfectly. If they are slightly off, this could cause vibration. I didn't have any vibration issues.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I installed my TMS 12.5mm spacers last night, there was corrosion on each hub and in the grooves around the center of the hub. I made sure the spacer holes and hub holes were aligned perfectly. If they are slightly off, this could cause vibration. I didn't have any vibration issues.
Oh really? I just make sure the bolt will fit, but dont align it to perfection. Why would that cause a vibration?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did it again, centered the spacers and then gave them a couple whacks. I think tightened to 100 on my torque wrench and the vibration is 80% improved. There is still a bit of a shimmy, but the wheel doesn't have parkinsons anymore. That's a start. Its drivable now.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I finally got this figured out. For my specific wheels, they dont make the correct offset we need with a 72.6 center bore. Only a 74.1. No big deal as long as you know this, and you use hubcentric rings to bring the CB to 72.6. A bad *** wheel shop here in campbell (California Wheels on Winchester) quickly realized the problem and got it fixed for me. 5 trips between america's tire and wheel works and none of their techs noticed the CB wasn't a perfect match. Frustrating. Car drives beautiful now, finally after months and months of frustration.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Sounds like 2Live4 was the winner. Exact same issue i had with my winters until I got the correct hubcentric rings.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts