BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My friend in Ohio had a suspension problem. She had already changed her A-arm thrust bushings per my suggestion, and now this again.

"my steering wheel is vibrating at highway speeds, like 65+ mph. I also kind of feel a vibration in the seat of my pants, like i can feel my pant leg moving against my leg. I also notice that if I'm going like 75 and let off the gas, I kind of feel the whole car sort of vibrating. it's not violent vibrations, but it's definitely not normal.

"Oh, and i took it to firestone already and told them about the problem. I ended up with two new tires (so now I have 4 new tires) and getting an alignment. They said the suspension was OK but I sort of doubt that. (I had to pay for the tires and alignment). I'm thinking it's either steering or suspension."

I'm drawing a blank. Any suggestions.

Thanks.

CP

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
perhaps wheel bearing?

:cheers:

·
Registered
12,961 Posts
I ASSUME you have already checked all the wheels to make sure they are not out of round. Steering wheel vibration is typically front wheels/tires out of balance, while "seat of the pants" vibration tends to be the rears. If the dealer has a used M5 on the lot (or if not M5, whatever the car in question is ), perhaps you can get them to swap wheels and tires and rule out that as a possible cause.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
214 Posts
chunpng said:
Hi,

My friend in Ohio had a suspension problem.
Are we to assume this is an M5? If so you might have her check the Guibo. Mine was heading out and I got it replaced. Under warranty!

KCD

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is not an M5, I think it's an American sedan.

CP

·
Registered
767 Posts
I've had lots of these problems. Look at:

The wheel balance (not balanced well)
Defective tire or bent rim
Allighment
bushings
Sway bar bushings

I forgot to add shocks. I had 1 bad shock that showed up as a vibration at higher speeds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts