BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I am seeing all the old threads about vibration, I have come to think about a different source of vibration.

Most modern cars have more than just 2, like our M5s, engine mounts which will further absorb the vibration of the 4941cc V8.

What I noticed is that every time I shut the engine off hot or cold, the engine shakes so vigorously compared to those of other cars I have driven.
It is sort of similar to the 3k RPM vibration but the almost-clunking sound and vibration is just awful.
Better explanation, it feels just like when you stall the engine. I learned to drive a manual using this very car and I can say that the vibration

Where can be the possible source of this clunk or vibration?

I have so far only changed the engine mounts (genuine BMW) and the tranny mounts (Lemforder). They didn't make much of a difference.

Any inputs are welcome or if anyone has similar symptoms please do reply.

It has been a full year since I purchased this car and it is my first time posting a picture of the car haha. It is a wonderful car.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Just a thought but it could be internal to the transmission. See if there's any difference shutting the engine down with the clutch depressed vs clutch released (neutral, of course).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a thought but it could be internal to the transmission. See if there's any difference shutting the engine down with the clutch depressed vs clutch released (neutral, of course).
Thank you for the advice sweeney. I will definitely try that out.

Now that I am seeing almost no replies, I guess this is not a common issue on these cars?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Now that I am seeing almost no replies, I guess this is not a common issue on these cars?
It's common to have a loud clatter when shutting the engine down with the clutch released. Should go away if the engine is shut down with the clutch depressed.

Let us know if you're experiencing something different.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's common to have a loud clatter when shutting the engine down with the clutch released. Should go away if the engine is shut down with the clutch depressed.

Let us know if you're experiencing something different.
So what you are trying to say is that if the clutch pedal is depressed when shutting off the engine (i.e. clutch is engaged) is the cause of the vibration and sound.
Thus I should try to press on the clutch pedal to get rid of the sounds?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was just checking with the procedure as I don't have the car with me currently :p and I was sort of confused with the idea of clutch being released and depressed.

Will update the thread after trying to shut off the car with clutch pedal pressed (i.e. clutch is released).
Thanks!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I was just checking with the procedure as I don't have the car with me currently :p and I was sort of confused with the idea of clutch being released and depressed.

Will update the thread after trying to shut off the car with clutch pedal pressed (i.e. clutch is released).
Thanks!
No worries! The verbiage is funky. Here's what I meant:

"Clutch depressed" = clutch pedal pushed in = friction disc disengaged from the flywheel

"Clutch released" = clutch pedal released = friction disc engaged with the flywheel

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ooh so it's the other way around. Thank you for the clarification.

I tried to shutting off the car with the clutch depressed and the vibration is so much better.
Thanks sweeney for all the help

·
Registered
272 Posts
"Clutch depressed" = clutch pedal pushed in = friction disc disengaged from the flywheel

"Clutch released" = clutch pedal released = friction disc engaged with the flywheel
This is always interesting, because for some reason clutch terminology always has been and remains a bit ambiguous. I learned (am am still of the opinion) pushing the clutch to disengage it is pushing the clutch OUT, and then you let the clutch IN to engage it and get moving. I feel this makes sense because out = off and in = engage, but it's true this mostly comes down to opinion, and you'll find a large sample of people on both sides, and I've never seen anything indicating one way or another which way is truly 'correct.' So for the sake of clarity, it's usually best to stick to the engaged/disengaged on pressed/released terminology. So good discussion guys! :D

·
Registered
100 Posts
Agreed, as far as I know there is no official terminology. I think that the ambiguity comes from how pushing the clutch pedal actually causes the driveline to not function, which is counter to how most controls work in a car.

The terms that I gave are just how I use them, and could be opposite for other folks. Just wanted to clarify with OP for this thread. Cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
My M5 did the same thing, it was the dual mass flywheel. It was worn out and rattled, after a new clutch and flywheel, the noise was gone. I did the work myself, this wasn't the first clutch I have done, it wasn't too bad after the exhaust was off.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Definitely sounds like the trans and/or flywheel. The dual mass will make noise at shut off. Sounds like yours is getting noticeable, so it might be time for a new one. Not a reason to stop driving the car or to worry, but might be something to add to the maintenance list. Sometimes you can here gears clank but you need a stock exhaust and a sharp ear.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts