BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 m5 with 158000 miles. On a recent trip I was 1000 miles in and developed a vibration under throttle and off throttle. It seem like performance has been lost. Also there is a loud clicking noise from a dead stop and a horriable vibration and it continues through all gears. The gubio and the center driveshaft bearing are in good shape. The clicking noise sounds like a baseball card on a bike. I lifted the rear end off the ground and turned the rear wheels and the clicking continued. I did notice that the front bushing on the differentail seems to be bad. I am kinda worried that it may be the diff. How often do the rear diffs or cv axles go out. Can anyone help me here?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Are you sure the CV joint on the driveshaft is good? You're at the mileage where a driveshaft replacement is not inconceivable. I would think if the CV joint of halfshaft was the issue you'd get more vibration on lateral loading on one side mostly (e.g. 50 mph offramp turn). Differential failures are rarer and while I have no experience with them I believe the issues are different then you describe.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Guibo

In my 2001, I had the exact same symptoms and clicking. Do a search in this forum on "Guibo"
Ill bet thats the problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i just recently replaced the guibo and i have torn it down to check the guibo and the driveshaft bearing and they are in good working order

·
Registered
593 Posts
My car is in the shop right now with your same exact symptoms(loud clicking noise on take off from dead stop and vibration and more clicking while in motion or during a 1/4 turn to the left). Upon inspection by the mechanic, the guibo was shot. There was a huge crack down the middle and threads are visible. I am hoping thats all there is, but I'll know more later today. I'll keep you posted.

Vic

·
Registered
750 Posts
A new guibo won't fail immediately unless there's a huge misalignment with the driveshaft (e.g. the center bearing is shimmed lower and transmission shimmed higher, etc). However, check your bolts on the guibo. They should be socked down tight. Since the guibo has metal inserts that the bolts pass through it can feel tight but actually the nuts may not be fully seated. You'll get movement of the bolts and loud vibrations.....ask me how I know. Still, I think you might have an issue with the CV jt. on the driveshaft itself. That will give a slowly increasing clicking which is speed dependent and more noticeable under load. Over weeks to months it will progress to a vibration. Lastly, are you sure there isn't a heat shield hitting something on the driveline since you mention things were inspected/replaced?

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I didn't see it mentioned, so I'll ask: When the guibo was replaced, did you mark the position of the prop shaft relative to it? And the same for where it connects to the diff? If not, maybe the balance is off?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Technically the driveshaft does not have to be marked at either end since it is balanced as a unit and there is no way or need to balance the minimal mass of the guibo or input/output flanges of the tranny or differential.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Technically the driveshaft does not have to be marked at either end since it is balanced as a unit and there is no way or need to balance the minimal mass of the guibo or input/output flanges of the tranny or differential.
I'm not smart enough to know if you're correct or not.

But since Raikku says mark it, I'd mark it.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I don't know if I'm that smart either.:grinyes:
It can't hurt to mark the end but if you think about it it is no different then saying you should mark your wheel when you remove it from the hub....The wheel is balanced on it's own and not in relation to the hub position. The same goes for the half shafts, the rotors, the water pump pulley, the sunshade gearing, the.....ok I'm getting carried away.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the guibo was impacted on but i will check the bolts, and the heat sheilds are removed and i had the rear end jacked up and the clicking and still continued as i turned the wheels by hand. it is hard to pinpoint the sound cuz the sound seems to run down the tunnel.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Yep, the guibo was the only culprit. Replaced under warranty. The beast is back!:biggrinbounce:

Vic

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
how much play is there suppose to be in the center driveshaft bearing (movement up and down). i noticed that there are some rub marks right above the guibo on the shift linkage, and there are some nicks on the tunnel right after the bearing at the knuckle. any thoughts

·
Registered
750 Posts
how much play is there suppose to be in the center driveshaft bearing (movement up and down). i noticed that there are some rub marks right above the guibo on the shift linkage, and there are some nicks on the tunnel right after the bearing at the knuckle. any thoughts
I believe the answer is none.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
guibo replaced and alot of the vibration is gone and the clicking is gone. i think replacing the center driveshaft bearing is next and a clutch

·
Registered
205 Posts
guibo replaced and alot of the vibration is gone and the clicking is gone. i think replacing the center driveshaft bearing is next and a clutch
Just curious, but do you know if that was the original guibo? Am thinking that I'll do mine as a preventive measure at clutch replacement (~77k miles)

·
Registered
750 Posts
Well, I guess I really didn't answer accurately but simply meant that the center bearing is really just a bearing surface and not meant to provide any meaningful lateral movement. Of course it is rubber mounted and rubber is a soft material. If he was noticing any real play there then that would be abnormal.
What is still confusing to me is did the OP replace the guibo twice? Or was the replaced guibo remounted and now the noise is fine? Or was the old guibo now replaced?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts