BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

i drove my car after a week sitting on the drive, and for the first few minutes, there was a vibration felt through the steering wheel under gentle acceleration... it all seems fine now... could it relate to pads sticking to discs... car parked after long drive back to london with spirited last few miles... note no vibration felt through pedal...

have also felt slight vibration before during very gentle braking at 60-70mph for speed traps, again with nothing through the pedals.. any ideas anyone? thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have had tires in the past develop a temporary flat spot after sitting for a while (ie at the airport for a few days to a week).

If its gone away already, that would be my guess.

·
Super Moderator
10,461 Posts
I'd also bet on flat spotting, but bad thrust arm bushings can also cause some steering wheel vibration at 50-70mph. How many miles on the car?
Mike

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
From what I have read, the Dunlops are prone to flat spots when sitting.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mottati said:
I'd also bet on flat spotting, but bad thrust arm bushings can also cause some steering wheel vibration at 50-70mph. How many miles on the car?
Mike
the car has 55500 miles on it... how would i check these.. also dealer did insp II only 5000 miles ago, could have have gone seince or have been missed?
thanks

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
mohan said:
car parked after long drive back to london with spirited last few miles... note no vibration felt through pedal...
I'll echo the flat spot question... especially seeing the part about the spirited driving during the last few miles of your trip. That would have heated up the tires, making them softer. As the problem went away (probably after they started to warm back up a bit), it definitely sounds like flat spots.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
vndkshn said:
I'll echo the flat spot question... especially seeing the part about the spirited driving during the last few miles of your trip. That would have heated up the tires, making them softer. As the problem went away (probably after they started to warm back up a bit), it definitely sounds like flat spots.
i've got dunlops, so i think the flat spot theory is correct, for the vibration felt at first set off... but i am now wandering if the vibration under gentle braking is due to the bushings..

thanks for all the answers guys...

·
Super Moderator
10,461 Posts
as for the thrust arm bushings... they can go at that milage, then could have failed since your dealer service and they could have been missed. When they fail, they leak, as they are fluid filled. I had mine replaced last week. I've been complaining about a "looseness" in the front end for nearly a year, and a mild shimmy at 60mph or so, and under braking. The dealer said all was fine over the past 2-3 visits with that complaint. My independent shop said maybe my thrust arm bushings are getting 'soft' but they hadn't failed. They did fail recently, and their replacement has cured the shimmy.
Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts