BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a little vibration at the steering wheel at speeds over 50mph... Its not bad but a little noticable. I just had my guy check everything under the car and everything is nice and tight. I had it aligned last month after installing h&r springs. I installed spacers after the alignment. Anyone have any ideas of what it could be? Much appreciated!

·
Registered
288 Posts
need a new alignment and also check tire pressure

Reactions: BD 997

·
Registered
839 Posts
Most likely an out of balance front tire. Have them rebalanced, and only on a ride-matching load bearing Hunter balancer. Discount tire uses them if you request, or most other big tire chains. YOu have to ask around or request it.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok... so check the balance and alignment...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I went through this w my e39. i checked balance, pressure, tire wear, rims, and all the other infrastructure btw wheel and car. Turned out i needed new bushings even though a visual inspection suggested they were fine. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dont bother checking the alignment.

You wouldn't have snow or mud in your wheels would you?
nope... Happens even right after a wash

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went through this w my e39. i checked balance, pressure, tire wear, rims, and all the other infrastructure btw wheel and car. Turned out i needed new bushings even though a visual inspection suggested they were fine. Good luck!
New bushings? I only have 2,450 miles :(

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Me 3....
b
a
l
l
a
n
c
e.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok... votes are in.

Will take it to the balance shop next week... after the snow melts :)

Thanks guys! I'll keep yall posted...

·
Registered
112 Posts
ok... votes are in.

Will take it to the balance shop next week... after the snow melts :)

Thanks guys! I'll keep yall posted...
if all your snow is gone by next week, I'm moving to Boston!!!! I still have 6-7 feet in front of my house!!! TABARNAC!!!! :biggrinbounce:

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
if all your snow is gone by next week, I'm moving to Boston!!!! I still have 6-7 feet in front of my house!!! TABARNAC!!!! :biggrinbounce:
hahaa!! my brother from the north... I spoke to my cousin in Montreal last week... he said its not so bad. He told me the beautiful women and great restaurants keep you guys warm and cozy in the winter. Clovelovelice!!!

·
Registered
792 Posts
Same thing happened to me in my E39 M5. Guess what it washmmm................:lightbulb:that's right the balance had fallen off. Simple cheap fix.

:cheers:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Usually up to 50 mph vibration is caused by the front tires, above 50 mph caused by the rear tires. Balance all 4 wheels and u will be ok.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It may be tire pressure, wheel alignment or even the spacer on the front wheels. You can easily experiment by choosing a straight road and drive in the middle lane and then let go of the steering wheel to see if the car steers to either side by itself. If so, there is a chance that the car is off alignment. But most of the time vibrations are caused by wheels balance and after installing spacer. There might be gaps between the spacer and the wheel and thus causing the vibrations.

What spacers do you have? Size and brand?

·
Registered
285 Posts
It should be balance as everyone else has said. If not, the bushing idea is great as well.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts