BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seen some post on vibration but none with conclusion. 08 e60 12000 miles. Between 15 - 25mph 20 exact, vibration coming from front. After 30 not even noticable. Doesnt seem to be drive train since its coming from front through steering column, and not through seats, even when coasting in neutral its noticeable. Tried re torqueing lugs, thats not it, and no noticable tire wear. Any ideas on what it could be?

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
have you taken it to stealer?

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Keep it under 20 :dunno:

·
Registered
513 Posts
I just had vibration at speeds of 80+.... I took it in and had the wheels balanced.. No more vibration and only have 7700 miles on it. Have you had them balanced ever?

one other thing - are they stock wheels and tires?

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Nice job eetme, I concure, bye the way nice handle, anyone ever beet you???

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, i might be able to help..it sounds to me like your tire could be out, dynamically, not balance wise. That is the tire is out of round maybe due to a ply separation or some other damage.
Thinking dynamic does sound like the possibility more than anything, stock wheels and tires by the way. Balance could be issue but from 25 - 120 no vibration seat or steering column. The seperation must optimize at 20 and become unoticeable after that since its so minor for now. Also, seems like tire issues never seem to be dealer expertise. Will keep under 20 for now, as someone else suggested. :checkeredflag:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update to Vibration issue for the record: Took car to dealer they said it was defective Continental Tires. Took tire to Conti dealer they inspected tires on balancer at 20mph. Turn out tires have only lost 30% wear with 13g miles, sounds good but, inner part of both tires have flat spots. Dealer says difinetly suspension issue. Smallest issue could be toe in, maybe. Taking back to BMW. I am thinking BMW should replace or adjust tires then re-align since it would be useless to do prior to new tires, any opinions?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I had a similar noise at slow speed. Dealer checked everything, they said it was most likely the tyre wear.

After new tyres all was fine.

If you search I think you may find a few people that have had it and I'm starting to think it is just the way that the Conti's wear.

I'd suggest changing them for PS'2 I've had no problems with them.

If the dealer are willing to pick up the bill, even if they put contis back on, I would let them.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I had my car about 4 months and the wheel was not on center when going straight. My SA, who is awesome basically explained to me that the alignment is off many times from the factory, not necessarily from driver use. A free alignmnet was in order (lucky me) and all was well.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had my car about 4 months and the wheel was not on center when going straight. My SA, who is awesome basically explained to me that the alignment is off many times from the factory, not necessarily from driver use. A free alignmnet was in order (lucky me) and all was well.
Latest and I am closing the case: Dealer said they reccomend the 286.00 alignment every 15g miles and since I am close to that nothings free not even the tires. They said they did some special routine when it came to alignments regarding weight sacks in the rear of car etc., I said come on, whats so special that I cant find a good alignment center to do the same, he said you can just make sure you get the before and after alignment printouts, and get front and rear alignment. The dealers over an hour away, so between 4 - 6 roundtrip hours I'm gonna forget all this crap and I ordered 4 PS 2's and I'm done through a local tire dealer, I will though get an alignment the same day.:blabla:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts