BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sounds crazy but just asking if its possible:

Noticed a vibration around 65-70mph for the first time this morning. Car has been super smooth until today ('02 79K miles). Vibration happens in gear or while coasting in neutral, but goes away if I step on the accelerator.

Last night I popped in a different battery while I put the BMW battery on a charger. The new battery is considerably smaller. That is the only thing that has changed since the last time I drove it - about 3 weeks ago.

I find it hard to believe that the difference in battery size would cause this but i'm just putting it out there.

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
I don't think it is the battery.

I would check the front tires for out of round conditions. Easy to do. Just jack up each wheel, and hold a straight edge next to the tread and spin the tire. More tires than you would guess wear out of round after a few miles.

And, it doesn't cost anything to check!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Update on vibration - now I'm pissed!

So I'm driving out for lunch and the vibration is much worse and is happening at much slower speed. In addition, now I'm hearing a clunking sound. After I park I check the back tires and sure enough the lug nuts are way loose - I could spin them off with my fingers! Good news - problem found.

Bad news is that last night was the only time I parked my car on the street because I knew i would be leaving early in the morning. Since I haven't taken my wheels off in a couple of months I'm thinking that someone must have loosen them up. I don't live in a bad neighborhood so I have to believe I got some jealous, haters on the block.

I hope I'm wrong, and maybe the lugs just worked themselves loose, but on both wheels? - not likely.

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
Humm ... Sounds like maybe somebody was planning to return to steal your wheels.

·
Registered
715 Posts
That could have been disastrous! :1zhelp:

I would say either someone wants you dead or was going to steal your rims :eek:oohhh:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts