BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found this straight software download for the E39 M5:Powerchip
They claim to boost horsepower from 294kw (394bhp) to 313kw (420bhp), remove the speed limiter and up the rev limit.
Does this sound good to you? It seems better than anything Dinan has on offer. Have a look.

[This message has been edited by Mattar (edited 26 October 2000).]

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,096 Posts
Originally posted by Mattar:
Just found this straight software download for the E39 M5:Powerchip
They claim to boost horsepower from 294kw (394bhp) to 313kw (420bhp), remove the speed limiter and up the rev limit.
Does this sound good to you? It seems better than anything Dinan has on offer. Have a look.

[This message has been edited by Mattar (edited 26 October 2000).]
Where did you find the info on removal of the speed limiter and increased rev limiter?
It was not on the web page.

/Johan

·
Registered
114 Posts
Beware !

I had my electronic modified and obtained similar numbers (+5% of power), but the engine started quickly to work with 7 cylinders only ! I let immediately remove the mod and will never do anything again on such engine !

BMW technicians know very well why they let power at 400 HP and not 420+ HP, and all the engine is prepared to support 400 HP and nothing else ! The electronic in this engine is so complicated that I'd advise you to let it as it is. Moreover, with the 5% increase of power I had, I can assure you that I could not feel it at all. Forget it ! You'll regret it

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Check the Dinan site. Steve Dinan says basically that BMW got it right with this engine and there is no easy way to get more power - certainly not with the chip alone. (Of course you might get a slightly higher horsepower rating by removing the reve limiter.) I trust Dinan.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I agree with Greg 100%! I would never ever trust anyone but Steve Dinan for an upgrade on my car. I previously owned a Dinan Supercharged M3... Wonderful car! and I can tell you for certain... Dinan is a class act!

I actually met him in Houston at the opening of the Performance Test Track at my dealer. He told me that all of those claims that alot of other tuners make are usually total bullshit. In other words, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. He said the M5 has such wonderful software and has been so well tweaked from Germany, that it made his job of trying to sqeeze more HP out of it very hard! Of course, you can always make more power with some blown air!!

Andy M.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Greg is spot on! I've asked a local, to the bay area, dyno shop about software upgrades theve dyno'd. The looked at 4 or 5 programs, some of them did nothing, some did increase HP for a limited time, but by the 3rd or 4th spin on the dyno the HP increase was lost or barely present. The technition also indicated on the first spins he definately noticed increase engine stress noise.

He thought the advanced electronics in the E39 worked to bring the entire system back in line with specs to ensure the engine is working within its best operating range and this was why the subsequent spins on the dyno saw the HP decline.

------------------
-hank

[This message has been edited by hank (edited 26 October 2000).]

[This message has been edited by hank (edited 26 October 2000).]

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Ben Treynor, a total Dinan disciple, has installed the Dinan exhaust for the M5 and posted dyno comparisons. Caveat, it is a "stock" M5 (not his) vs. his M5 with exhaust. He say a 8 hp gain or so. However, the exhaust is $2000!!!! Not a real efficient modification. He already has bought the Stage III suspension and plans on the superchargers. This a guy that sold his 600+hp Supra for the M5 so he is kind of power hungry. I would guess the best mod short of the superchargers would be to simply put a quicker rear end in the car.

Man, I don't even want to know what Dinan will charge for dual superchargers on an M5. By the time he is finished he will have bought a 996 TT. Dinan does do good work but they aren't the only ones out there that do.

Older modified cars only realize 30-50% of the cost of modifications on resale so I wouldn't go into it as an investment.

------------------
Kevin Kelly
91 M5
Dinan chip
Dinan Stage III
Racing Dynamics sway bars
18" BBS RC's
turbines for the track

·
Registered
301 Posts
Originally posted by Tom:
Beware !

BMW technicians know very well why they let power at 400 HP and not 420+ HP, and all the engine is prepared to support 400 HP and nothing else ! The electronic in this engine is so complicated that I'd advise you to let it as it is

I just flipped through an old car mag with an interview of the gentleman who designed the S62 engine and he says it it far from stretched to it's limits. infact they could have gotten another 150+ Hp out of it, but they thought 400hp was just right for today's drivers. the same article outlined plans in '99 to eventually fit the M5 with a 6-speed SMG 'box.

so mabey more neddies and SMGII for the M5 evo in '03 - '04??

------------------
ho nuovi calzini su!!

[This message has been edited by Maranello Man (edited 26 October 2000).]

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,096 Posts
Originally posted by Maranello Man:

I just flipped through an old car mag with an interview of the gentleman who designed the M5's engine and he says it it far from stretched to it's limits. infact they could have gotten another 150+ Hp out of it, but they thought 400hp was just right for today's drivers. the same article outlined plans in '99 to eventually fit the M5 with a 6-speed SMG 'box.

so mabey more neddies and SMGII for the M5 evo in '03 - '04??

Kellner manages to get an extra 50 hp and Novack claims +100 hp. This include changes to cams, intake (Nowack only), exhaust as well as reprogramming.

My guess is that BMW could have acommplished this if they had wanted to. But 100hp with only chip tuning? No way!

/Johan

·
Registered
114 Posts
Maranello Man,

I know that BMW could have made a more powerful car, but the engine would then certainly not be with the exact same components, I'm sure they'd have to modify many thing to the S62 to get more HP WITH SECURITY FOR LONG TERM RUN.

And the price of the engine, therefore the car, would be higher for sure

Don't think BMW economists would let BMW engineers produce an engine very expensive only because it could have had more than 400 HP ! No, they actually produce an engine that can safely do 400 HP for more than 100000 kms, but not 450 HP or so.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yes tom, i agree... the price would go up, drivability would probably go down, i also think BMW got it near spot on with the engine

cheers

------------------
ho nuovi calzini su!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts