BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:byebye:as the title says~ any local owners here like to share their thoughts on the car?:byee55amg

·
Registered
304 Posts
Where are you from originally? How are the roads over there? I can imagine there aren't too many M5s running around Hong Kong proper, I'd love to see a photo with your beast with the skyline in the background (hint hint :) )

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I was originally from Toronto, Canada where I drove other vehicles (MKIII GTi VR6; NSX; S2000; etc.). I had the E46 M3 here in Hong Kong with PSS9s in the stiffest setting and most if not all passengers complained. In comparison, the E60 EDC setting in Sport is about 60% of the stiffness of the PSS9s on the E46 so you can imagine how the roads are over here.

I plan to take some photos of both cars (the E46 was sold to a friend) soon and I'll try to do more photoshoots with other vehicles (GTR perhaps? :))

Would love to hear from local owners as well about their experience with the beast with/without mods~

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
My family and I are from Hong Kong :)

Welcome!
Nice to meet you SoS SWATxV2! Have you ever driven here in Hong Kong? I'm a daily driver (hwy/local) and can barely keep my mileage to below $4.00HKD/km, do you have the relevant experience? I managed to keep it at a steady $2.40HKD/km in the E46 M3 over a 3-year period.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Nice to meet you SoS SWATxV2! Have you ever driven here in Hong Kong? I'm a daily driver (hwy/local) and can barely keep my mileage to below $4.00HKD/km, do you have the relevant experience? I managed to keep it at a steady $2.40HKD/km in the E46 M3 over a 3-year period.
I forgot to mention that I haven't lived in Hong Kong in nearly 20 years. I've moved to the United States since the early 90s and have lived here since. The last time I drove in Hong Kong was also about 20 years ago and I got rear ended in my old Audi.

Price of gas where I am is also high and it's definitely over 4 dollars/gallon for me at least. I haven't been driving the M5 for a while but since winter is just around the corner, I have placed snow tires with 18 inch rims on my car.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I forgot to mention that I haven't lived in Hong Kong in nearly 20 years. I've moved to the United States since the early 90s and have lived here since. The last time I drove in Hong Kong was also about 20 years ago and I got rear ended in my old Audi.

Price of gas where I am is also high and it's definitely over 4 dollars/gallon for me at least. I haven't been driving the M5 for a while but since winter is just around the corner, I have placed snow tires with 18 inch rims on my car.
Sorry to bring up such a horrible experience! :sad1:

But $4.00USD/gallon is nothing compared to $16.50/litre here which is rougly twice the cost for fuel :grrrr: I can still remember the days when the Canadian dollar was much weaker and my friends and I use to take weekend trips to Buffallo, New York just to buy gas and Marlboro cigarettes! :S

·
Registered
537 Posts
Sorry to bring up such a horrible experience! :sad1:

But $4.00USD/gallon is nothing compared to $16.50/litre here which is rougly twice the cost for fuel :grrrr: I can still remember the days when the Canadian dollar was much weaker and my friends and I use to take weekend trips to Buffallo, New York just to buy gas and Marlboro cigarettes! :S
No worries. I still look back on my experience with the old Audi crash from time to time. It reminds me how safe the Audi was and how well it held up. I believe it had the first Quattro AWD system from the 80s. Older model.

Since my last time in Hong Kong, those delicious cafes and dim sum places still around? Are there a lot more now?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No worries. I still look back on my experience with the old Audi crash from time to time. It reminds me how safe the Audi was and how well it held up. I believe it had the first Quattro AWD system from the 80s. Older model.

Since my last time in Hong Kong, those delicious cafes and dim sum places still around? Are there a lot more now?
There has always been a Chinese proverb/idiom that Hong Kong is the Heaven of Food but if its just cafes and dim sum you're referring to then of course they're still around, practically on every street corner~

·
Registered
200 Posts
I will be heading back to HK next week and staying with my wife's family in Sau Mau Ping. More specifically 45 min stop in hk -> Shanghai (1 week)-> HK (1 week)-> Los Angeles. I have an early christmas present being delivered to me in Shanghai :haha:

·
Registered
368 Posts
hong kong! the breakfast there is so awesome! and the dim sum!!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I was born in HK but have not lived there for over 30 years. There are several members on the board from HK and someone just bought a E39 M5, is that your friend? I use to drive my boss' 300ZX and got it up to around 180km/h but the traffic is just too much. Got busted by a speed camera in the tunnel and the ticket was mailed to my boss but he was pretty cool about it. Enjoy the beast.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was born in HK but have not lived there for over 30 years. There are several members on the board from HK and someone just bought a E39 M5, is that your friend? I use to drive my boss' 300ZX and got it up to around 180km/h but the traffic is just too much. Got busted by a speed camera in the tunnel and the ticket was mailed to my boss but he was pretty cool about it. Enjoy the beast.
:byee55amgI don't have any friends in HK driving M5's (E39/E60), mostly E46 and Z4Ms only.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Born in Vancouver, but with extensive family in Macau. I can't imagine driving it in HK cause the roads are quite bad with construction.... night time driving is quite good because less traffic.

I usually drive the familys cars in Macau, but it would be fun because the roads are good in Macau.. the GP circuit is quite cool.. Only problem is the parking.

Anyhow, the mods you do to the car won't get you better milage however you want to think about it. =)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Born in Vancouver, but with extensive family in Macau. I can't imagine driving it in HK cause the roads are quite bad with construction.... night time driving is quite good because less traffic.

I usually drive the familys cars in Macau, but it would be fun because the roads are good in Macau.. the GP circuit is quite cool.. Only problem is the parking.

Anyhow, the mods you do to the car won't get you better milage however you want to think about it. =)
celicatoe46m3: its not my first time modding a car so i wasn't expecting to get any better mileage :D

Congrats on the car. :)
noblem400: thanks! :byebye:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts