BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so freaking upset right now. My car was in at the dealership to have the steering column replaced because of the creaking sound in the steering wheel. I have been pretty happy with this dealer; up to now. My SA called last night that my car is ready for pick up. But I was not able to get there last night so that I told her that I would be there this morning to pick up the car because I don't my car at the dealership with all this snow we're getting in CT. Plus, I would be away on a business trip for about two weeks and I did to have my car at the dealership. Just a precaution for potential lawsuits or claims; the dealership always inventory your car upon your arrival for any existing damages. My car is in a mint condition; well was. So, I arrived at the dealership this morning to get my car. Being that is snow outside; the dealership kept my car inside. So, they have one of the tech to bring my car into the waiting tunnel so that I could transfer my items from the loaner into my car. As I walked around the back to place things in the trunk, I noticed that my rear bumper has been hit. I immediately bring the issue to my SA. She then have the service manager came outside and looked at the damage. He then immediately denied responsibility. I expressed to him that my car did not arrived at the dealership at that state of condition and I asked him to restore my it its previous condition. At this point, it was obvious to me that I am getting nowhere with this freaking moron. I then asked for the General Manager of the dealership so that I could express my concerns with the service manager lack of remedy. He told me to wait and came back in a few minutes and told my that the GM was not in. At this point, my blood is boiling but I kept my cool and composer. I then proceeded to contact the local police to have a written record of the incident. I then went to the sales room to see if my sales person was in. Mind you, I have bought three cars from this dealership. I told my sales person what just occurred and he told me that the GM has been all morning. Now, I am really pissed that the service manager lied to me. After a few minutes the GM came out and introduced myself and we went to inspect the damage to my vehicle. The GM appears to be pretty fair and reasonable. He at first tried to split the cost of the parts and repairs with me. I was not having any of this BS. I told him that I just want my car back the way it was when I bought it in for service. I when thru the hold thing with him how his dealership inventory customer's car for prior upon arrival at his dealership and my car did have any damages and it shows in their log. He them changed his tone of voice and apologize and told me that he personally will have this matter resolved and setup an appt with their bodyshop to have the damaged bumper replaced and painted. That's all good, but I know my car is no longer the same. I left the dealership this morning extremely upset and displeased. I am so sorry for the rant, I just need to get this off my chest.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Sucks that you can't even trust the dealership to take care of your car when you take it in for service. Luckily they have taken responsibility for it and are willing to fix the damage.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Sorry for your troubles. Do you trust their bodyshop? Not sure I would; however you probably won't have a choice. G/L!

·
Registered
792 Posts
I feel your pain:crying::crying:

I just got my car back from the body shop 2 weeks ago for a very simluar issue. When I took it in for some warranty work my SA called me to say that my car was ready for pick up however he had some bad news for me:eek7: He proceeds to tell me that my rear bumper had been damaged in the shop (how it happened he wouldn't say). The bumper had a huge tear in it:eek:h: and that they were going to send it to their body shop for a new bumper.

When I got there to see the car I couldn't believe it I thought they were kidding me on the phone. After I looked at the rest of the car I also noticed they somehow managed to also scratch the front bumper (this they didn't mention to me). I like you called the SA out to look at the damage to the front to which he replied I'll be right back. After looking at the sheet reporting no damage when the car arrived they without question said they would fix the front end at the same time.

I wasn't very happy about the whole incident however to their credit they did fix all damages back to my hi standards. I did stop in a couple of times while the car was in the body shop to make sure they weren't cutting any corners.

Long story short no all stealers are out to get you.

I hope you beast gets fixed up soon!

:cheers:

·
Registered
789 Posts
I would also ask for diminished value. These cars especially when going to market are not desirable with any types of accidents. Well documented as it may be it sure will take a large hit.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I would also ask for diminished value. These cars especially when going to market are not desirable with any types of accidents. Well documented as it may be it sure will take a large hit.
Good thought; but what are the chances? The dealer didn't want to pay for the damage.........

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your moral support. I was very unsatisfied with the service manager with the manner in which he handled the situation. I also own my own business and I do understand there will situations and circumstances in which you have no control of. However, a successful and respectful business is judged in which how their supporting members/teams remedy the situation. In my case, the service manger failed miserably. Yes, the GM step up and remedy the situation. However, it should have NEVER arrived at that situation. He had every opportunity and power to make the matter go away. Yes, I do have to bring the car to their body shop to get the work done. At this point, I just want to get my car fixed. I am not even bother to ask and request for the lost of value to my vehicle. I can assure you that I will not bring my cars back for any further repairs. However, I will continue to work with my salesman.

·
Registered
195 Posts
are you allowed to say which dealership? I also leave in Connecticut, if thats what you mean by CT. the don't sound too bad. you had to push a bit but they are fixing the car. Which is cool.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The same thing happened to my E55. Just another d!psh!t GM. Elevate the situation higher as this GM obviously tried to pull a "fast one" on you. Please say you followed through with the Police report.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, I did follow thru with the police department. Yes, I am from CT; connecticut. If anyone is interested in the place of the dealership; just pm me. I don't want to violate the forum policies and rules.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This is typical in large dealership environments. The most likely cause: porters that get paid minimum wage that end up parking cars as close as physically possible to save room for a few extra spaces while closing up for the night. You wouldn't believe the stories I have of these kids burning out and doing donuts on the top of the dealership parking garages while a manager isn't around.

"How close am I to the car in front of me?" BOOM. Reverse two inches. and the porter walks off. Door dings galore, you have no idea. And for those of you that enjoy the nice complimentary wash on the weekends. Yeah, the car is most likely dried with a dirty chamois that's seen the floor 100 times before touching your car. Or those waterblade driers that scrape dirt against your car with every swipe. It's a swirl and scratch fest waiting to happen. Porter's excuse: $7.25/hr isn't much of an incentive to do any job with a lot of care.

How can you avoid this? If you have the option to pick the car up before they close. Do so. The more time it spends at the dealership, the more chances someone has of screwing something up. What's another option if the car has to be there for a few days? You tell the service rep you want his best porter, or whoever is in charge of the porters that he, and only he is the only one besides the techs working on the car, that touches it. And you tell them your M5 is a DO NOT WASH car period, and they can tag it as a do not touch car. Afterwards, if the car comes back to you flawless (the same way it went in)...you tip that porter well. He probably makes $10.00/hr if he's a head porter, so that tip (based on how generous you are), is an incentive to make sure no one screws up your vehicle the next time you bring it in. Thus, a business to client relationship ensues, and you gain a certain level of trust by making sure your car is in the hands of a responsible person. It's still not a foolproof method, but at least you determine a certain level of control over your vehicle while you leave it in their hands.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finally had time to bring the Beast to the dealership bodyshop to have the rear bumper replaced and repainted on Monday. After being at their bodyshop for four days my SA called informing me that car was done and ready for me to pick up. Upon my arrival, I pulled up to my Beast to inspect their work before returning the loaner. I was EXTREMELY dissatisfied with their quality of work. There were dry edges on the finish and paint was missing from some edges and was just cleared. However, they did a great good tinting the color because they did a great job on color matching. While I was inspecting my car the general manager spotted me and ask if I was please with the repairs. I then proceeded to point out the flawless on their workmanship and he agreed. He told me to bring the car back and they would take care of it. I told him that I am loosing confident in their dealership because of their lack of quality control and expressing to him how this whole situation has caused me time and money. Since their bodyshop is not onsite; 2 mile away from the dealership. I told him that I would to go their bodyshop and go over my concerns with his bodyshop manager. He encouraged me to do so and told me that he would call the bodyshop manager to let him know that I would be coming. Upon my arrival at the bodyshop, the shop manager did not looked to happy; I assumed that he must have been chewed out by the general manger. We then proceeded to my car so that I could show him the flaws in their work. He was not happy and very unpleasant to work. How kept on trying to deny responsibility for their awful work. At this point, I started to get very upset but I kept my composer because I know that I was not getting anywhere with moron. I told him that I would contact the general manger to express my further concerns. He then quickly told me to bring the car back the following Monday and they will take care of it and walked away. Wow, talking about bad customer service. Oh, I forgot to mention that they also did a horrible job lining up the bumper. There is now a big gap between the bumper edges and the rear quarter panels. I also told him that I want that to be addressed. Prior dropping my car off, my ipode was functioning flawlessly and new its no longer working. I don't know if it's a freaking coincidence but I am not very happy. I will diagnose it once I get the car back. Thank god I did not have them paint my Hartge from lip. I have my regular Mercedes and BMW bodyshop that do all my body and paint work and they are AWESOME. I hope that they will get it right this time. I told the general manager that I want his used car salesman to inspect the repair before me picking up the car. I figure that is what he does on a daily basis with their trade-ins and would have a better trained eyes then anyone in their service department.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Yes, I did follow thru with the police department. Yes, I am from CT; connecticut. If anyone is interested in the place of the dealership; just pm me. I don't want to violate the forum policies and rules.

I don't think you'll violate any rules, especially as you're providing a 'warning' to other CT owners. I can only suspect it's either BMW North Haven or BMW Bridgeport.

·
Registered
195 Posts
not violating any rules.. just stating the obvious and this is the only weapon that we have against these careless, unprofessional dealerships. Bmw honestly has dropped their standards... Try contacting bmw of Na and you'll know what i mean.... Total BS.
You should def state the name of the dealership so others are aware, that is the only way these people will fix themselves in future time.
**** happens dun stress too much, life will go on either way. We live and we learn. :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dexter Morgan,

You are pretty close. It's BMW of North Haven. I just can't wait til this whole situation is behind me. I am wasting time my dropping the car off and pick up from the dealership.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts