BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so my car has what may appear to be a blocked cat (cant be 100% sure though) so what i plan to do is cut the cats off and put 2 simple bits of pipe (one size bigger than the cat pipe) in there place... i will fix these with 4 exhuast U clamps... If my problems are cured i will then buy 2 new (or low mileage) used cats and sleeve and weld them in place... Does this seem like a) a sensible plan before blowing money on cats b) a viable and fairly straightforward exercise... Dont worry about the SES light... i thik someone before me has had tat done, i had cylnder shut off and it didnt even come on!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Yes, you could do that, but why not just buy new cats in the first place? It seems like you're just making extra work for yourself.

Personally, if my state didn't care I'd just weld in the straight pipes and call it a day.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Seems reasonable. Just make sure you leave enough meat on the stock cats to weld them back in if they arent the problem. Like somoene else said, if my cats went and we didnt have Aircare here, i would take them out and not put them back in lol. Unfortunately we have Aircare.

·
Registered
470 Posts
With my beast... Magnaflow Exhaust no cats. I mounted a spark plug anti fouling adapter on the post cat O2 sensors. I can go about 150 miles before it sets off the SES light.. plenty of time to have the state inspection and emissions done with a pass. They don't physically look for cats.. just as long as there is nothing on the OBDII.

·
Registered
489 Posts
If your in Cambridge (the original one) then Torque Flow supplied and fitted mine (100 cell) for just a couple of hundred.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Torque cell? Are they racing cats or just straight replacements? Is your beast on eBay btw?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Torque cell? Are they racing cats or just straight replacements? Is your beast on eBay btw
Torque Flow, just outside Birmingham. Yes they are classed as 'race' cats, there's no problem with these in the UK, the car will pass emissions no bother for your MOT.

Mines not for sale, unless the misses has put it up!!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry to bring this back from the grave but... If I have complete useless cats or they have been knocked out... And the rear sensors are reading the
Same as the front what would you expect to happen if no software had changed?

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Sorry to bring this back from the grave but... If I have complete useless cats or they have been knocked out... And the rear sensors are reading the
Same as the front what would you expect to happen if no software had changed?
Check engine light, code for 'cat efficiency below threshold' or some such

·
Registered
561 Posts
Does deleting cats bring any power gains?
All exhaust stock except Eisenmann Sport cans.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ard - the fault I refer too on the please help me post when it goes into limp mode - only resurrected this pos as it was about cats

1 - 20 of 30 Posts