1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gustav said:
B8
Im really bad at this particluar Alpina model?

Let me then educate you :hihihi:

The B8 is one of the most rare ALPINA`s . My first alpina was infact an 1977 E12 B8.

The B8 engine was produced based on the 633/733i csi engine. It took over from the B6 I belive....., when the 528i replaced the 528.
Performace of the car was
0-100 kph in 6.8 and topspeed 233 kph. ( depending on the frontspoiler used)

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Thanks Erik :thumbsup:

That must be very fast in those days! The logic that a 6-series is a B8 just confirms the logic of Alpina numbering ?????? Somehting about engine block ??????

How did your father get interested in Alpinas?

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Gustav said:
Thanks Erik :thumbsup:

That must be very fast in those days! The logic that a 6-series is a B8 just confirms the logic of Alpina numbering ?????? Somehting about engine block ??????

How did your father get interested in Alpinas?
The car was very fast back in the late 70-ties and still when I had it I very seldom lost a race, on our local BMW Club meeting I even beat a brand new M3 Sport EVO III on a racetrack driven by a Porsche CUP race driver !!!!

The logic back then was in the begining was quite logical.( almost)
A was 4 cylinder, B was 6 sylinder. The numbers was then a B2, B6, B8 B9.
Same with the A2 ( Carburator ) A4 Injection.

The the B7 started to ruin the sequence.... and the B was also used for the 12 cyl. After that i think they moreor less use what available, since they also used the B8 in the V8 E36 B8.....

So you are right its not that logical any more.

How my dad got interessted in ALPINA`s, do not know but I guess it startet with a set of rims on his 3.0 s in early 1970. It ended up with a 3.0 si that got the ALPINA suspension and then finaly the E12 B8 that in fact was ordered as a B2 3.0 with carburator engine and 230 Hp. But since the that engine whent out of production he had to take the "new" B8 engine.
The car was picked up in the middleof the winter with summer tires and he got a small snowstorm on this way home, that was as I have been told a scary ride back home.....

After that is was an AMG 280E :nono: , after 2 gearbox changes that car was
traded in for a E28 B9 that in 1984 got traded for the IAA show car B7 Coupe that we have to day.

The B8 I bough back in 1990 as an replacment for my ALPINA 2002 A2s, and totaly rebuild the B8 technically, I sold it in 1994 an bought the E36 M3 Coupe......

This is a pic I took of the car during a small vacation we had.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Thanks Erik, but i thought you meant e36 B8! ;)

all the best
adam

1 - 9 of 9 Posts