BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 79 and have owned many BMWs over the years, but this is my first real M, a 1988 M6. It has a very short shifter installed, along with a competition clutch/pressure plate. I have owned a 633 and in the past and find driving the M6 cumbersome and difficult by comparison. My grocery store getter is a 97 318ti (a bobtail hatchback with the wonderfully winding 4 banger) is a joy to throw around and shifts very quick with the standard rig. Guess I have work to do on the M6 if i want it to suit me! i also currently have a 2000 Z3, a 2002 540i V8, a 93 530i wagon with a V8 and a stick, and a beautifully preserved 1984 E30 318i with outstanding original paint and interior and no rust whatsoever. Only problem is that it is an automatic. I just bought a rust bucket doner car with a 6 and a stick but i am getting a bit old for such heavy work. I also have a 1947 MG YA Sedan and a 1967 MGB GT . I look forward to reading all the posts and sharing info.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Nice collection and welcome to M5 Board.

·
Registered
2009 BMW E63 M6, Sapphire Black
699 Posts
I am 79 and have owned many BMWs over the years, but this is my first real M, a 1988 M6. It has a very short shifter installed, along with a competition clutch/pressure plate. I have owned a 633 and in the past and find driving the M6 cumbersome and difficult by comparison.
Interesting you say that. Was just saying the same thing in another forum. For me I think its the fact that you can get into trouble so fast because it is so fast. Like license losing trouble. Its almost terrorizing to drive the car! But, If I just kick back and drive it like I would my 545, then it becomes about the same. The car is just so much more capable of trouble.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts