BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I have found a very low milage (28k) e60 m5. It says the car has been in a fleet (corporate or rental).
I don't remember where i read this but there was some warning for buy old low mileage e60 m5s.

I understand that carbon buildup happens among other thing as the car rests. I am currently waiting for the carfax but the dealership claims it has a clean carfax with great service history.
Any insight? Thoughts?
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
not unique to these models - cars like to be driven. At least a few thousand miles a year. Was the mileage spread out over the past 12 years or did it sit for several years with almost nothing? Any service history show on on the carfax?
I just got a 08 with 66K miles which is 4-5K miles a year - that one is about half that so 2-3K per year. Not unreasonable for a part time driver. I have cars that I have driven about that much that are in fantastic condition - I have a 4 year old Camaro SS with 12K, so that one has only done 3K / year under my watch. But it never sits for more than a month at a time and during nice weather months is driven several times a week generally. During the winter it's under a car cover in my garage and it's garaged year round. Oil changed once a year not on a mileage based schedule. So a car like that can be a gem. But of course not all will be so! Have you seen it in person? How is the condition of the interior, lenses, glass, rubber and trim? That will tell you a lot.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I have one with 34k miles, it gets driven very very little per year. I had the abs module that needed to get fixed 2 years ago, not sure if from sitting or what. I sent to module masters or whatever the name is and the repair was cheap. Don't worry about the miles, just make sure it was maintained. I still do oil annually, brake flush every 2 years, and a full service every 5 years(all fluids/plugs/etc)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine has 37k miles and has never had an issue. Sits winterized during the winter and is driven sparingly the other months. Rental would concern me. Corporate Fleet not as much depending on maintenance history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi guys I have found a very low milage (28k) e60 m5. It says the car has been in a fleet (corporate or rental).
I don't remember where i read this but there was some warning for buy old low mileage e60 m5s.

I understand that carbon buildup happens among other thing as the car rests. I am currently waiting for the carfax but the dealership claims it has a clean carfax with great service history.
Any insight? Thoughts?
Thanks.
Hello rbrindley1,

I highly doubt any M5 was a rental and/or retained low miles. It was most likely a corporate "fleet" lease and purchase run through a company.

As for carbon build-up: If you are referring to newer direct injection cars that cake carbon on the back of the intake valves, this S85 engine is port injected and does not suffer that condition.

Lower miles always better, but as commented, no use not so great as seals and other components like to be run and lubed.

Good luck and hope you find your vehicle of choice.

Mr. P

·
Registered
729 Posts
Mine has 37k miles and has never had an issue. Sits winterized during the winter and is driven sparingly the other months. Rental would concern me. Corporate Fleet not as much depending on maintenance history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Awesome! Love when these cars have no issues. My first one back in 09, I daily drove it and never had a problem surprisingly. Was a bit surprised when the module went out(was working fine, but CEL was on,) but it being so common, the repair was extremely inexpensive. What year is yours?

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
Can you get the car up on a rack to inspect? I’d get a PPI done one the car.

Here’s another thought on a corporate lease.

I used to get a corporate leased E500, then E63 AMG for my company car. I beat THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS out of my company cars. My neighbors always wondered why my old BMWs, 1988 e28 m5, e39 m5, and e60 m5 lived in the garage, and the AMG sat on the street.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hello fiftytwoeighty,

You are a bad man.....lol....drive it like you stole it? A little hard to believe....but okay....

Most corporate leases are well maintained under service agreement, but as you stated...many are flogged.

Mr. P

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
Hello fiftytwoeighty,

You are a bad man.....lol....drive it like you stole it? A little hard to believe....but okay....

Most corporate leases are well maintained under service agreement, but as you stated...many are flogged.

Mr. P
World’s fastest car is a rental, which is a lease! ? ;)

·
Registered
120 Posts
World’s fastest car is a rental, which is a lease! ? ;)

Hello Fiftytwoeighty,

Fun video! Forgot on last post to offer my total jelousy for your M5 fleet! I Have been an M5 lover since gen-1 (E-28) when I was in H.S. To be honest, at the time I thought is was possibly one of the ugliest cars on the planet! But, even after falling from the "ugly tree" and hitting every branch on the way down, it became apparent the the E-28 was TOO COOL! No need to kiss the frog with specs on a 4dr sedan that offered manual transmission and would outperform a Corvette!

Then came the next I-6....and it is pretty! and so on, and so on!

Mr. P

1 - 10 of 10 Posts