BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just changed my old shocks and springs,they had done 112k and felt terrible making the car squat and dive excessivley even at low speed,body roll wasnt that much of an issue as long as you had progresive steering inputs like you were driving a Robin Reliant.

After installing the PSS9 the car is much improved in both ride,handling, and grip.I have only done 30 miles over some well known damp slippy roads but was able to match or beat the old setups speed in the dry because of the extra confidence and feedback.
I was concerned it would ride like a modified car but it rides comfortably with a nice taughtness to it,they really flatten out an undulating road better than stock even and any slack or vagueness has gone and its just minimum steering effort to get through corners,so much nicer to handle aswell its like its got half the weight up front.

The dampers are set at 6 and ride height 14" all round which looks superb-really sits properly now and will get some pics up of before and after.

Job done.:santasmile2:

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
just a bit of input:

don't compare brand new dampers to 112k worn dampers. a proper comparison would be done with new OEM dampers and PSS9s.

with that said, bilstein typically makes a quality product.

Reactions: M55555

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Glad to hear you like em. You could always increase the damper to 7 if you prefer a softer ride.

I've had mine for 30k miles/4 years. Still love them.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I continue to hear great things about the PSS9's!

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
You guys are make me yearn for the moment I get to finally put my PSS-9 kit on my car. Just 2-3 weeks more & I finally have my tech install these puppies... ! Right now, I can only imagine how they make the M5 feel. :tonquesmilie:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You guys are make me yearn for the moment I get to finally put my PSS-9 kit on my car. Just 2-3 weeks more & I finally have my tech install these puppies... ! Right now, I can only imagine how they make the M5 feel. :tonquesmilie:
Its like having a new car it feels so much better,and if only the rear top mounts were as easy to unbolt as the E60 :(

Attachments

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Its like having a new car it feels so much better,and if only the rear top mounts were as easy to unbolt as the E60 :(
I know exactly what you mean. I have had my rear seat area & the entire rear deck disassembled for months now. Looking at the rear of my M5 through the rear windshield does make the car look a bit naked for the time being. However (as you already know), it will certainly be well worth all my time & effort once it's done. I'm looking very forward (that's an understatement) to having my fully refinished oem M5 wheels, my brand new PS-2 tires & my PSS-9 kit put on my beast... ! :checkeredflag:

·
Registered
1,448 Posts

Looks great ..!!!

Have those wheels been refinished or is it OEM finish ? From the picture the shade looks perfect. cherrsagai

·
Registered
80 Posts
So is it correct to assume that the rear PSS9 shocks in the rear still needs to be removed off the car to adjust damping?

Where exactly is the comp & rebound adjuster for the shock?

·
Registered
459 Posts
pss9 adjusters on on the bottom of the shocks, generally near the mounting points.

i believe the front shock adjustment is on the very bottom of the shock, and the rear is near the bottom, but on the side. atleast thats how it is on almost every set of pss9s ive seen

no need to remove the shock to adjust with pss9s that I have seen, also avoids the rear deck removal that other adjustable shocks all seem to necessitate for e39s

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
So is it correct to assume that the rear PSS9 shocks in the rear still needs to be removed off the car to adjust damping?

Where exactly is the comp & rebound adjuster for the shock?

FYI, There are a lot pictures floating around on the forum on PSS9.

Here old pictures of mine. You can see the adjustment knobs for both front and rears.

Regardz,

J Irwan

·
Registered
80 Posts
Man, why did you post those pics?
They're GORGEOUS!
OK, I've been sitting on the sidelines too long now...this is what I want for christmas. And I just installed Koni sports 6 months ago too.grrrrrrr

edit:
One more question:
The knob on the bottom adjusts compression, and there's a knob on the top to adjust rebound, correct? That is, both the shock and strut, have two adjusters per, correct?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just the one adjuster on each shock for compression stiffness.The rears are quite awkward though.

I wouldnt fancy both bound and rebound adjustment,it would be annoting trying to get the right set up.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Just the one adjuster on each shock for compression stiffness.The rears are quite awkward though.

I wouldnt fancy both bound and rebound adjustment,it would be annoting trying to get the right set up.

the rears are less awkward than having to remove your rear shelf to adjust rebound :/

Reactions: M55555

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
OK, I've been sitting on the sidelines too long now...this is what I want for christmas. And I just installed Koni sports 6 months ago too.grrrrrrr

What are you waiting for :D
You won't regret it going with PSS9.
I had my OEM suspension replaced while it still has 2x,xxx miles and even then the difference (before and after) is day and night.

Here is another picture to help you make up your mind :goldcup:

Regardz,

J Irwan

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
J - thanks for re-sharing your portraits of the PSS9. It reminds me of what I have on my car :)

Reactions: J Irwan

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Don't take it for granted.
It's one of the best suspension you can put on your beast....LOL :D

Regardz,

J Irwan

1 - 20 of 40 Posts