BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a noise coming from my front wheel (Never noticed it b4 due to windows being up) 1st Sunny day in Scotland.

It's coming from my front Passenger wheel sounds like a ticking noise (speed related)

God! if i didn't like this car so much i'd be so ***sed off right now.

Any ideas?
Getting the CPS done on Monday hopefully....

·
Registered
230 Posts
almost sounds like a rock is stuck in your tire tread.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
took the wheel off and you can still hear it.

Ticking noise sounds a bit like a newtons craddle....:eek:oohhh:

·
Registered
386 Posts
Mine did that on both sides, the wheel bearings were swapped under warranty, problem gone.

What year is your car, I wonder if there was a dodgy batch of bearings (mine is late 2002)

·
Registered
8 Posts
tick tick click...

Hi Shamus
My wife's Boxster had the same a couple of weeks ago. I removed the front wheel, and there was a tiny piece of stone trapped between the disc and the backplate. Removed...sorted. Worth a look??

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
will have a look but don't think that is what it is.

2001 plate

·
Registered
78 Posts
Pretty sure it is the wheel bearing - just had mine changed to solve the same problem. Bearings on these cars tick before the rumble

·
Registered
936 Posts
Sounds like a wheel bearing, I replaced both mine because I had the ticking noise.

It was speed related too, I could really hear the noise if I drove close to a high kerb.

REALLY annoyed me for ages - didn't sound like a wheel bearing on any other car I owned, I even took the discs off to look for trapped stones ouich

Also, with the car jacked up and the wheel off you still couldn't tell it was a wheel bearing, everything felt good.

Instant improvement when I replaced them.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like a wheel bearing, I replaced both mine because I had the ticking noise.

It was speed related too, I could really hear the noise if I drove close to a high kerb.

REALLY annoyed me for ages - didn't sound like a wheel bearing on any other car I owned, I even took the discs off to look for trapped stones ouich

Also, with the car jacked up and the wheel off you still couldn't tell it was a wheel bearing, everything felt good.

Instant improvement when I replaced them.

Tried dosn't seem to be any play and what you are saying matches it to a "T".
Thats all I need :grrrrr: not having much luck with this car but I'm getting to the bottom of all these faults slowly but surely ouichI just wish they'd give me a chance to at least drive the car with it all working :M5launch: b4 i spend a fortune fixing things.

Any ideas how much this will cost for bits etc???????:eek:oohhh:

·
Registered
386 Posts
Tried dosn't seem to be any play and what you are saying matches it to a "T".
Thats all I need :grrrrr: not having much luck with this car but I'm getting to the bottom of all these faults slowly but surely ouichI just wish they'd give me a chance to at least drive the car with it all working :M5launch: b4 i spend a fortune fixing things.

Any ideas how much this will cost for bits etc???????:eek:oohhh:
Mine were replaced on the E+, but I think bearings are about 200€ (probably about the same in quid). I dont think its a crucial fault, as I ran mine for about 25000 km with the noise, but got it changed just before the insurance ran out. I personally would wait to see if it starts rumbleing, and change it then. Are you likely to change your own bearing or have a stealer do it?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
got someone who will do it if i get the bits. :eek:oohhh:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts