BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to my UK dealer two days ago asking for news on my M5 due in July. as I am first on the list.

Thought three months the dealer told me they were not running a demo and enquired about taking that slot - no reply from them then. BUT transpired now that this "demo" had been sold to someone who was second in "queue" and who is now the first to receive an M5 this week. I am quite mad about this and the explanation was that my car was already spec'd and the demo" was as well.

I have heard about BMW dealers in the past not totally fair in the dealings with their long term customers. This is the first time I have come across this in my business with BMW. This episode has indeed supported my case to trade up and move to a porsche 997 GT3 next year after running the M5 for a year.

I am quitegrrrrrrr

·
Registered
271 Posts
That's totally unacceptable. I have already ranted about the state of the demonstrator fiasco in another thread so I won't do it again, but I cannot believe the disorganised, inequitable mess that is the current launch / delivery situation. You have my utmost sympathy.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I fully understand how you feel as I was moved to slot 2 after 3 years of being told I was number one.

I must admit that the dealership was understanding of my feelings and went through how the mistake had been made, even showing me the paperwork with the new expected delivery on the production system of September. Also once they knew the demo was going to be sold I was called along with the other deposit holders in order offering the car.

I think it's down to the individual people at the dealerships and their take on good customer relationshiips. So I'm sorry to hear how badly you have been treated , whilst thinking that I'm lucky to have a good team in my local dealership.

As a side note the demo is ready for collection to its lucky owner but they haven't even said when they want to collect it, not sure if they are away or something. But its strange to hear this with so many people biting at the bit to get one.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Unfortunately any system that relies on the honesty of dealers and in demand cars is open to manipulation. As I have said many times before the only way to handle these situations is via a centrally controlled system managed by BMW and without dealer involvement.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
There is little you can do in these situations. It appears the person getting the demo paid an incentive fee (or simply put- they are paying over). This happens. It happens everywhere. The person who gets in to the hot restaurant or club or whatever. I understand your frustration, but I don't think you should be surprised. It is what it is. While I would feel angry too, the way I see it is they did not bump your spot- the demo is an extra car for them to sell.

I don't know what the dealer structure or franchise laws are in the UK, but in the US, the franchisee is strongly protected by law. This allows the dealers a lot of room to operate....

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the sympathy- though I do regret the lack of transparency way of dealing with a long term customer - esp when I asked could I take the 'demo' slot ages ago to this dealer.

If they did this I could have kept the first slot and the 'queueing system' would work. I guess the British love of 'queues' is creating the frustration for me. :3:

I chalk up this experience now as I look forward to the M5 but will switch to the Porsche Brand for the next car viz the 997 GT3. I see buying cars it is impt to feel good throughout the whole process by the dealer and the car. (I really feel mad again because the CSL process from waiting, ordering, delivery [with the wrong wheels/tyres ! and selling [painful] :crying2: in the UK was a shambles by BMW GB and its dealership:mad: ].

Thanks for listening guys.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Then why even give them your money? Why not go elsewhere now? Or- buy the M5 at MSRP and sell it back to them for over! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts