BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to ask other members who have this option what there views are, because I find the function of the ventilated seats so poor as to find it unacceptable. You hardly get any idea that it is working. Has anyone else got this option or am I the only mug. Everything else on this car is A1 plus.

·
Registered
520 Posts
turton said:
I want to ask other members who have this option what there views are, because I find the function of the ventilated seats so poor as to find it unacceptable. You hardly get any idea that it is working. Has anyone else got this option or am I the only mug. Everything else on this car is A1 plus.
I've ordered it but don't get the car for a few days. I thought it was intentional that you don't feel much, but I've never seen it in action.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought the idea of ventilated seats a great one, as it is the seats that trap radiant heat and keep you too hot when the aircon is on (cold air in front, hot seat behind). But believe me, it doesn't make a perceptible difference. If you are not supposed to feel it, as you say, ie if it doesn't cool your seat or your back, and lower the temperature of the seat, ie ventilate the seat, what is the point in having it??? I didn't expect to spend that kind of money just to have the pleasure of a neon glow on the dash board when pressing a button.

mhh said:
I've ordered it but don't get the car for a few days. I thought it was intentional that you don't feel much, but I've never seen it in action.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
turton said:
I thought the idea of ventilated seats a great one, as it is the seats that trap radiant heat and keep you too hot when the aircon is on (cold air in front, hot seat behind). But believe me, it doesn't make a perceptible difference. If you are not supposed to feel it, as you say, ie if it doesn't cool your seat or your back, and lower the temperature of the seat, ie ventilate the seat, what is the point in having it??? I didn't expect to spend that kind of money just to have the pleasure of a neon glow on the dash board when pressing a button.
I had the same initial thoughts as you on the ventilated seats on my SL 55. Part of the reason was that I had the perception the ventilated seats were the exact opposite of the heated seats. Seeing how the heated seats really heated my bum and back led me to believe the ventilated seats would be a refrigerator. But it's not. It is designed solely to give just a subtle amount of cooling to prevent sweating.
Try this the next time your car is parked in the sun for an extended period of time: turn the vent. seats on for the driver's side, leave them off on pasenger side and touch the leather within 2-3 minutes to compare. I think you will see the difference

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
I chose not to get the ventilated seats. I have two young boys and the fear of ice cream and chocolate getting into those perforations filled me with dread.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
I chose not to get the ventilated seats. I have two young boys and the fear of ice cream and chocolate getting into those perforations filled me with dread.
I love the interior color of your M5, and with 2 young boys--even without the perforated leather--you are braver than me!!:hihi:

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I actually like ventilated seats that dont feel cooler. I havent tried them in an E60, but the last car I was in with ventilated seats was a Lincoln LS. Those seats made you feel like you were sitting on a wet park bench if you turned on the ventilation. I would much rather just have the seat take away the sweaty back/cold chest situation that happens with non ventilated seats and working AC.
:cheers:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, that does make a difference. I suspect I will get used to this. It is perhaps all about expectations. Everything else in the car is so dramatically amazing, I expected the ventilated seats to be like the flow of air from the front vents if I wanted. When you compare one side on with one side off, the difference is apparent!

:cheers:
Rezf said:
I had the same initial thoughts as you on the ventilated seats on my SL 55. Part of the reason was that I had the perception the ventilated seats were the exact opposite of the heated seats. Seeing how the heated seats really heated my bum and back led me to believe the ventilated seats would be a refrigerator. But it's not. It is designed solely to give just a subtle amount of cooling to prevent sweating.
Try this the next time your car is parked in the sun for an extended period of time: turn the vent. seats on for the driver's side, leave them off on pasenger side and touch the leather within 2-3 minutes to compare. I think you will see the difference

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
If you go on a one hour summer-drive wearing a shirt in the E60 M5 with ventilated seats on and AC on, how does back sweat when you get out of the car compare to a similair drive in the E39 M5?

David

·
Registered
149 Posts
You are correct. I had the vent seats on my silver/silver SL55 and they are meant to make you more comfortable, rather than provide air con for your bumm.
In any event, it is a nice option in hot weather and does have a more sporty look to it. I sold my SL55 to a friend and must admit that I lust after it every time I see it. Clearly a great ride.

Rezf said:

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
High Timbers said:
I sold my SL55 to a friend and must admit that I lust after it every time I see it. Clearly a great ride.

How do you cope with the withdrawals. PLEASE give me some advice :crying:

·
Registered
158 Posts
I bought an 05' Escalade last year with the ventilated seats and they were very disappointing as well. It was $10k extra for that along with a few extra options, so I think it was a total waste. But I guess looking at the physics of the situation, it would be hard to come up with a solution that is also comfortable to sit on. I think the key to not being very disappointed is to lower your expectations - it will make your back and butt just barely cooler - not to the same degree as the heater. (With my expectations sufficiently lowered, I ordered it on my new M5)

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
paule said:
it will make your back and butt just barely cooler - not to the same degree as the heater. (With my expectations sufficiently lowered, I ordered it on my new M5)
How much drier does it make your shirt feel after a long drive in hot waether with the AC on?

David

·
Registered
158 Posts
DavidS said:
How much drier does it make your shirt feel after a long drive in hot waether with the AC on?

David
In that situation, no real difference. I had expected on a drive out to Disneyland that I would stay nice and cool. That was what was so disappointing. But on short drives, before you can really heat up, it prevents your shirt from getting damp which is a small plus. Maybe BMW's system is better, but I don't have my hopes up. Then again, the heat here in AZ is brutal - I doubt you get that kind of heat in many other places.

Paul

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
paule said:
In that situation, no real difference. I had expected on a drive out to Disneyland that I would stay nice and cool. That was what was so disappointing. But on short drives, before you can really heat up, it prevents your shirt from getting damp which is a small plus. Maybe BMW's system is better, but I don't have my hopes up. Then again, the heat here in AZ is brutal - I doubt you get that kind of heat in many other places.

Paul

Thanks, Paul!

Anyone from a place with climate like Northern Europe or OR, WA, WI, MI, NorCal etc?

David

·
Registered
839 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
You let the kids eat in your car? LOL! :nono:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts