BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just wondering, Where can I find vanos for e39 m5? I know that there is a site called dr vanos but is there any other websites that offers vanos and such?

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Tell us why you think you need the whole new vanos.... many shops say "bad vanos, pay is $3k" and it is not the whole vanos that is bad.

Gnerally Dr. VANOS is the most economical.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Agreeing with the above, if you have a look around the site, it's a VERY well discussed topic and there are various issues and levels of failure or problems.

I suggest expanding on what you would like to know.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should have said that I would need 2 whole vanos, one for passenger and drivers bank. The one im looking at is missing vanos and maf. That m5 has 39k miles on it right now.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Need way more details here.

So you looking at buying a M5 with 39k miles and someone has removed/stolen the Vanos & MAF's? Wiring intact or cut/damaged?

MAF are pretty straight forward, assume you need the MAF sensors and associated tubes? You may need clamps and some hoses, but is also depends if the car has the original air intake system.

Vanos, well this is a bit vague. Do you need the Vanos soleniods boards, covers, oil lines, pressure regulator, accumulator, entire Vanos units with boards, covers & gears?

MAF's, any board sponsor, ebay, dealer.

Vanos, depending on what you need, dealer, scrap yard, ebay, Craigslist, Classified adds on this board and/or others.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
:) Yup, still a touch confused... Is the Vanos missing, or have you bought (or are thinking of buying) a car with a Vanos issue, and the seller has said it needs new Vanos units? Again, most dealers and one or two lesser experienced indy's will just quote for new Vanos units when faced with a problem, it might not need whole units, but you need to elaborate on the situation.

Edit - When I was far less knwoledgeable about these, and far more scared of the warning of bad Vanos units costing £1k's, I could have picked up a tidy car, late facelift, for just over £5k. Only thing was it had noisy Vanos... Damn it :)

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The one I am thinking of buying is missing vanos and maf, they were stolen in shop during supercharger install. The owner took his car after this happened.

The car is avus blue. I can get brand new maf but I'm looking around for 2 vanos. No accident and clean history.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The one I am thinking of buying is missing vanos and maf, they were stolen in shop during supercharger install. The owner took his car after this happened.

The car is avus blue. I can get brand new maf but I'm looking around for 2 vanos. No accident and clean history.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Color of the car is not important.

What is important is how much of the Vanos system is missing! You will probably have tough time finding complete parts in a short period, then you need someone who really knows how to correctly reassemble!

Pictures help a lot!

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Which shop did this happen in? I took my car to a shop in tri-state area and my rear diffuser was gone. Instead of going back and arguing with them, I simply decided to no longer give them my business. Regarding the vanos units, I think Dr. Vanos charge something like $1100 per unit without core exchange, or you can try contacting memeber Tradin1 who has had/may still have spare vanos for sale. The car should be discounted at least 3 - 4k withou the mafs/vanos.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Which shop did this happen in? I took my car to a shop in tri-state area and my rear diffuser was gone. Instead of going back and arguing with them, I simply decided to no longer give them my business. Regarding the vanos units, I think Dr. Vanos charge something like $1100 per unit without core exchange, or you can try contacting memeber Tradin1 who has had/may still have spare vanos for sale. The car should be discounted at least 3 - 4k withou the mafs/vanos.
I am planning to email to DR vanos and I have this idea which you mentioned 3k to 4k off the price of the car. I have a friend who knows/fixes the bmw's so I am good on reassembling vanos and such.

I just wanted to know the prices of the vanos and stuff.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can anybody from Chicago or near Chicago area check that M5 i am looking at? Please PM me with your email since i need to rack up few post counts to able to use PM.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
. The one im looking at is missing vanos and maf.

Assume you will need a new engine.

Surely you cannot believe a seller that is saying "shes in great shape, just needs vanos and MAFs".... if you buy it and discover other issues, you are SOL.

And this is a remote car, just emails and telephone???? How will you get it home? Car is worth $4-5 as a roller, IMO.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Assume you will need a new engine.

Surely you cannot believe a seller that is saying "shes in great shape, just needs vanos and MAFs".... if you buy it and discover other issues, you are SOL.

And this is a remote car, just emails and telephone???? How will you get it home? Car is worth $4-5 as a roller, IMO.
My thoughts exactly; blown engine? remove a part that it wouldn't run without, and swear on your children's eyes that she runs great...As cheap as these cars are for what you get, trying to find a 'deal' is false economy...I would buy my car from me if I were selling it, but I am not so I will have to wait...LOL

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've already decided to buy m5 that is running and completed with maintenance. I am still looking around.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Best of luck with the search, I don't think you'll regret making that decision.

Does that first car not sound really dodgy? Take off two fairly major things that can fail on the M, and that are reputed to break the bank to fix/repair/replace, especially if done through a dealer, and then say it's a beauty? Hmmmm.

No, keep an eye out for a better one. ;)

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I've already decided to buy m5 that is running and completed with maintenance. I am still looking around.
Say, if this one with the missing vanos is posted online, please post up a link...`should be entertaining.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts