BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Easter sunday went to get the papers. Car as per normal .Got papers , back in the car , started her up , she fired instantly as she always does , however the engine emissions light stayed on ( yellow engine symbol ). 10/15 seconds later whilst still stationary it started idling very roughly , as though it was running on 7 cylinders. MMMMMM,.......
Swith off...........start again.............exactly the same . Ok well it is a yellow light ,and it feels like a broken down plug. So we limp hime the 1.5 miles and park up. Came out an hour later and tried again ............still exactly the same . Had a good look and couldnt see anything obvious ( not that there is much to find ). Oh well ...best left alone and well try again tomorrow.
Next morning.............we try again.........starts fine......10...15.....seconds all ok .........20..30 and yes lumpy we go .....Bugger. This time its worse , its gotta be running on 4 cylinders.
Sounds terrible.......hope its not terminal. Ok thats it to the dealer it goes.
Tuesday it goes to the dealer..........24 Hrs later diagnosis is the vanos unit on one bank of the V8 has failed. Ok fine , please replace it and by the way im away for the next week so ill leave the car with you . Please get it fixed and anything else you find give me a ring .....thanks.
A week on saturday later , come back from i week off ( no phone calls )............ah yes well good news and bad............The car is fixed....Yipeee. The bad news was we replaced the vanos unit on one side , and ran the car. It ran rough. As we had it for a week we ran it again the next day again and we got same symptom as you had . Diagnostics indicated that the vanos unit on the other bank had failed as well. So we had to replace that one as well. Is this a comon problem ?
Er ..well no ...in fact we have only ever done 2 ( since 1999 ) . Its a mystery and to be honest the vanos units opperate at about 1000 psi so they are best changed. All i can say is im glad mine failed on startup and not at 5000 rpm at 160 mph as there would only be bits left i would imagine. Anyone else had this problem ? Just curious. Total damage for the repair bill was just shy of £ 1100.00 .
The reason i put this article here is that if the emissions light illuminates its normally a sensor failure ( so im reliably told ) and the handbook does say check at your earliest convenience ( as opposed to switch off and do it immediately ). So if you get a light , treat her nice as it could have been a lot , lot worse.
Anyway...........i have to say , it seems to go a little better and im still deliriously happy.

:M5thumbs:

·
Registered
147 Posts
whew, that was hard to follow. :D Glad you got it fixed and everything is ok and without doing any more damage. One thing, I thought VANOS was much more expensive than that. Did you get a GREAT deal or is there different levels of VANOS replacement? Good luck.

·
10,458 Posts
The 'engine' light you have is our Service Engine Soon light in the US (we americans apperently need to be told specificallly what to do ;) ) will go on for any issue that could effect emissions. So a bad vanos will cause a misfire which will illuminate the light.

If you do a search of the board, you'll see that vanos unit replacement is not uncommon. As another board member said, your price seems pretty good, even taking the current exchange rate into account. I'd guess it would have cost more for 2 vanos units.
Mike

·
Registered
118 Posts
NAT said:
Total damage for the repair bill was just shy of £ 1100.00 .

:M5thumbs:
Hey Nat,

How does that price break down between parts/labor? That price looks very reasonable for Vanos replacement.

Who's your dealer? I'm checking out Inspection II quotes in the South London / home counties region. Best so far is £600 from Whitehouse Bromley.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well i had my inspection II done at copers sevenoaks ,and they quoted me £ 505.00 all in . Remember to ask the garage if they do the 4 PLUS scheme . Personally i wouldnt use any Whitehouse group garage as i also have a Jeep and have found them to be nothing but totally useless. Like everything in life you base your opinions on your experience . Mine have been just dreadfull and i know Im not the only one. If you have had good service there before then i guess keep going there.

So far Coopers have been on the whole very good. As always it depends which person you deal with.

:7:

Mike_Rock said:
Hey Nat,

How does that price break down between parts/labor? That price looks very reasonable for Vanos replacement.

Who's your dealer? I'm checking out Inspection II quotes in the South London / home counties region. Best so far is £600 from Whitehouse Bromley.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got the standard main dealer price. Over here the dealerships operate a scheme known as 4 PLUS. BMW have discovered that people only go to the main dealers for the first three years of ownership , after that they go to a cheaper non franchised dealer.

To stop this they introduced 4 PLUS and if your car is in its 4 th year or older they give you a discount to keep you as a customer. Im not sure how much it is but from memory its 10percent of both parts and labour costs.

The lucky thing is that the M5 vanos unit is relatively cheap. Its the M3 units you were probably thinking of and they are a well documented problem , costing aproximately £ 2500 all in to replace....

:)
jlindy said:
whew, that was hard to follow. :D Glad you got it fixed and everything is ok and without doing any more damage. One thing, I thought VANOS was much more expensive than that. Did you get a GREAT deal or is there different levels of VANOS replacement? Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts