BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
So I’ve read all the threads for vanos solenoids. And my question is, are the eBay replacements any good? I definitely am not willing to drop 1k + a solenoid.
I bled the vanos 3 times and they are all showing “not ok” and sound louder than they were before. Maybe I should have done the beef consecutively. Did the bleed once and then twice in a row the next day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I don’t know the answer to your question but I was looking too. What I will say is the eBay ones all seem to be version 1 but sophies ones are version 2 which I would this is a lot better and still a lot cheaper than dealer...

out of curiosity do you have any symptoms
when driving?

·
Registered
164 Posts
My vanos has been noisy since I bought the car, I have read many tests for vanos and the results are mixed. I have changed my o-rings with no effect and the solenoids on one bank with no effect. The solenoids were Ver 2 aftermarket, there is no way I'm paying $1800 for a coil and a spool valve. My car is an 06 and the newer cars have an updated vanos assembly and exhaust cam gear. With no codes and the car running fine I will change those parts at my leisure. I would recommend the same if the car is running fine drive it. If you have and early version and want to change the solenoids buy the whole assembly for $2500.

·
Registered
371 Posts
There aren't many people on this Forum that have all four solenoids without quality failure on ISTA. I personally am waiting on aftermarket solenoids that can pass all the quality metric before I spend $400 for the full set. the quality test result used to bother me. after daily driving it for months, it doesn't bother me any more.

·
Registered
144 Posts
My vanos has been noisy since I bought the car, I have read many tests for vanos and the results are mixed. I have changed my o-rings with no effect and the solenoids on one bank with no effect. The solenoids were Ver 2 aftermarket, there is no way I'm paying $1800 for a coil and a spool valve. My car is an 06 and the newer cars have an updated vanos assembly and exhaust cam gear. With no codes and the car running fine I will change those parts at my leisure. I would recommend the same if the car is running fine drive it. If you have and early version and want to change the solenoids buy the whole assembly for $2500.
Dumb question: I'm assuming you're referring to the vanos adjustment units? Do the new vanos assembly units include new solenoids?

i.e. part #
11367841073 /

·
Registered
532 Posts
Depending on year of car vanos solenoids and exhaust cam gear are different. Pre 08 has all the typical vanos problems. So if your 06 has the vanos growl most likely you need to change exhaust gear not vanos unit. There’s several thread on that subject. There also was a solenoid change from black to silver. I have black in my 06 2 of them test fine. I have sophie v2 on passenger side (bank 1?) and stock on drivers. I purchased 4 v2 solenoids and had issues with 2 of them, but could be related to o-rings from Sophie, oem ones look way different. I have found that if you can have your old solenoids ultrasonically cleaned, they tend to work like new. If your cars an 06 then prepare for messing with the cam gears if you want to “fix” it, not to mention the vanos units. I’ve contemplated buying a whole 08 or newer motor just for the heads and obvious stroker build.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Make first ultrasonic cleaning.
Here are mine:

3 from 4 are working properly right now.
Talk a lot with local specs - they know S85 better than their wifes.
Aftermarket selenoids are waste of your money. The aftermarket'll slightly improve the situation if you have vanos error and selenoid does not work at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
done both ultrasonic cleaning and bought a set from Sophie’s version 2 solenoid . Will try them both tomorrow .

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
371 Posts
i have a feeling manufacturers will become smart and start making these. why don't we sit back and wait until they become $200/piece and pass all ISTA metric. $1300/solenoid just makes me LMFAO

·
Registered
136 Posts
How much are Viaco Units? Above
From the retailer in the UK they were £597a couple of days ago but are currently now at £617.91, there are other UK based sites that have them listed also.

Not sure how much they would be direct from Viaco in Germany but looks like you can only buy them direct from if you are a business (VAT registered).

·
Registered
136 Posts
How much are Viaco Units? Above

They state they are german built.
Maybe they are the OEM suppliers.
They certainly look like the OEM ones. They have the two holes at the tip totalling four on the solenoid, as opposed to the ones supplied by Sophie that only have one totalling three on the solenoid.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts