BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seem to be several previous threads about this problem, but I thought I'd add my story to the board.

My car had been running with a small oil leak for a few months, when suddenly one evening on the drive home from work, it became a massive oil leak, causing my dashboard to say "low oil pressure - stop engine." I pulled over and poured a liter of 10W-60 in, since I always carry some extra oil in the trunk. That solved the problem...for about a mile. I could see the trail of oil dripping out of my engine. Fortunately I made it home, and I was hoping I did not ruin my engine.

Towed the car to the BMW mechanic I've been using for years. A few days later, he diagnosed the problem as an o-ring failure in one of my VANOS solenoids. You can see it in the picture I've attached. He says it was likely caused by a cold solder joint in the solenoid wiring, which might have caused some sort of imbalance and rupturing the o-ring. Alway, long story short, my mechanic replaced this $0.50 part with about $1000 in labor. My car's running well again, so far so good.

Attachments

Reactions: M5 London

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Good result !

Although for $1000 labour, I would probably have him at least replace all 16 of the Vanos Solenoid O Rings, and even that takes only 90 minutes maximum.

Cheers

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
If he charged you 1k$ for the job,he massively screwed you!!!!!!!!!

Replacing all O-rings for both bank solenoides and diagnosis where the oil leak comes from should even take a stupid mechanic not more than 2.5-3hours....

The solder joint theory is complete BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
$1,000 in labor? Possible....my Indy shop is around $100/hr and between diagnosis and repair this job could take a mechanic upwards of 10 hours.

I'd still be pissed if I had to pay this much...but I can see how it's possible, especially if his hourly cost is more expensive.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
If someone needs 10hours to diagnose the leak and change the solenoide O-rings,he should change the job.

Either the mechanic is a a complete idiot or a greedy bastard.Most probably both:grinyes:

·
Registered
69 Posts
sorry to butt in, i have a techie question as we're on this subject...

which direction does the pressurised oil flow through the solenoids - in thru the clip on filters or out thru them?

I can clearly see what happens when a large o-ring fails :eek:h: but what happens if a smaller inner one leaks, presumably there is no external spillage but vanos performance would suffer, right?

Cheers
Ben

1 - 12 of 12 Posts