BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

I read the excellent write up on DIY - Changing the S85 VANOS solenoids and decided to change the orings on my solenoids before ponying up for replacements, as three were showing ‘not Ok’

Pulling the drivers side two was a breeze. (OK, maybe a stiff breeze)

Getting a tool narrow enough to get the back two screws on the pass side solenoids has me stifled, as my tools are either too wide to fit, or long enough to interfere with the P/S pump. Any advice on a tool that can get to those two screws?

BTW: the large o rings on the drivers side were clearly showing their age, so am optimistic.

second question: if I do end up replacing them, any feedback on the aftermarket solenoids Lefong is selling on https://lefongplaza.com/products/v2...-for-bmw-m5-and-m6-e60-e61-e63-e64-brand-new?

thanks much!
/s/

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where do I find these filters? I looked at solenoids and didn’t see them.

by accu,ulator, you mean the pressure accumulator? Hadn’t planned to disconnect that this go around.

·
Administrator
3,417 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ok, from those pictures, the strainers look to be in the cylinder heads‘ VANOS adjustment units, but am still unclear where to find them. In the pics they look like there’s a hose attached, unless that’s just a tool to remove them and they sit just under banjo bolts. Is this where they are? I dont see them in realoem.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
You need to remove the oil supply hose for the Vanos adjuster, the strainer is inside the hole under the banjo bolt, don't forget to see post #22 in the above thread to get the strainer out, it is a tricky task the strainer can be damaged, use Torx T30 to remove it. You will not see them in realoem because they are part of the adjuster unit so becarful.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks...I couldn’t get it out with T30, and was afraid to damage them. Tried turning them out and just pulling them out, but no joy. Wonder if I can clean in place....some brakekleen might backwash it out, though would also get in heads. Or perhaps a thin oil like wd40.

any tips on how to use the T30 to extract them?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tried the pick tool but still could not remove...then tried t40 key and worked great...evidently the shaft on my t30 is thinner than was used before.

they look really clean. Sprayed them down with electronics cleaner...first from outside as a back flush. Then inverted from inside to wash any stuff out of bottom. Then one more time from outside. Reinstalled!

Now if I can just get the pass side exhaust solenoid off!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, swapped the o rings and reinstalled. Got car back together and bled VANOS twice. ran VANOS test and still 3 out of 4 are not OK, mainly for min stop adjustment.

was there anything else I should have done before running the test? If not, I’ll be ordering new parts.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Yes delete the Vanos adaptation and test. The best is to ultrasonic clean the solenoids beside the O'rings replacement, if they still fail then the solenoids are worn and require replacement. What happen is the solenoids are sluggish to move fast enough for the requested command of the DME in a certain time. Test resistance and compare it with the good solenoid.

If no fault is present the car will function normally but with less sudden power demand response and lower low end toque.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts