BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
For the typical owner I agree you won't need to disclose anything more... but as an engineer the lack of details of is one of the reasons I chose to leave the pump alone. I get your approach from a business standpoint tho.
I know i was over the top on getting on his case, which he did not deserve. Typical bmw owners dont do the work themselves.

Mr Six thinks there is a line of people that want to steal his idea, except overall there isnt enough market for me to care and go through R&D. A major developer or a shop that has budget (such as Lang) is more likely to buy his unit on the down low, copy, modify if needed and slap their name on it. Thats just the reality.

What he may be missing is he is marketing to more than diyers, but actual people that have to put their name and risk the labor redoing the job. At the end of the day i am making same amount of money whether its a new pump or a new race. What i dont want, is for it to bite me in the ***.

OP is an awesome MOFO for taking the time to do this. Even if it began as just getting his own car fixed.I would have preferred being made a tad more comfortable spending money with him that is all. I am sorry for string up all this $(&@ :wink

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey Al59751, I received your PM but I can't reply because I'm a newbie. Regarding the video you sent: https://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/505337-vanos-pump-solenoids-noise-question.html

This video you sent sounds very similar to what I heard with mine. I played the one you provided at the same time as a recording I have and was surprised to hear how close they sound. I'm certainly no authority on these engines but based on my limited experience on this topic, if that's what you hear it could well be a vanos pump.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey Al59751, I received your PM but I can't reply because I'm a newbie. Regarding the video you sent: https://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/505337-vanos-pump-solenoids-noise-question.html

This video you sent sounds very similar to what I heard with mine. I played the one you provided at the same time as a recording I have and was surprised to hear how close they sound. I'm certainly no authority on these engines but based on my limited experience on this topic, if that's what you hear it could well be a vanos pump.
Thanks for responding. Digging has shown that people operate with that noise for years and its not an indication of an issue. Overall was curious if new race has changed operating sound of the pump.

PS this new site blows *$#&, why do people change **** that just works....why!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Finally have time to do rb and vanos. Here’s what my vanos looks like probably did need to change race but did anyway. My pump is in great shape so removing the race was a snap. Can’t wait to see how she runs with a good high pressure line.
Finally have time to do rb and vanos. Here’s what my vanos looks like probably did need to change race but did anyway. My pump is in great shape so removing the race was a snap. Can’t wait to see how she runs with a good high pressure line.
Hello, Where did you buy the race and do you know where i can buy the piston ?

·
Registered
30 Posts
For the race read the first post in this thread from Check_my_Six.
As for the pistons I don't believe that there is a source for them.

BTW, for those interested here is a clip of what my Vanos pump sounded like which was definitely bad. I ended up replacing my pump with a new one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
For the race read the first post in this thread from Check_my_Six.
As for the pistons I don't believe that there is a source for them.

BTW, for those interested here is a clip of what my Vanos pump sounded like which was definitely bad. I ended up replacing my pump with a new one.

Hey!

I have a similar noise (less loud though), but only on some temperatures (55-65C). No noise on the very cold start and upon warm up. Did you have the noise on all temps? Any codes on low pressure?

Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey Andrej.

I know the sound was always there but I'm afraid I can't say that it was more or less apparent based on temperature as I just never paid much attention to it. I didn't even suspect the Vanos pump until I found a piece of it sitting in my oil pan. I can say however that it was way less noticable with all the insulating panels in place.

No, I had no codes. This was merely a discovery from having the pan off suspecting rod bearings to find that the metal in my filter was mostly aluminum from the back of the Vanos pump.

Hope that helps some way. Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey Andrej.

I know the sound was always there but I'm afraid I can't say that it was more or less apparent based on temperature as I just never paid much attention to it. I didn't even suspect the Vanos pump until I found a piece of it sitting in my oil pan. I can say however that it was way less noticable with all the insulating panels in place.

No, I had no codes. This was merely a discovery from having the pan off suspecting rod bearings to find that the metal in my filter was mostly aluminum from the back of the Vanos pump.

Hope that helps some way. Good luck.
Hi!

Many thanks for the response! Helpful.

Could you feel any engine work/performance difference after you had put a new pump? Better idling or something?

Personally, in addition to the noise I am facing below normal intake vanos solenoid quality figures on the vanos test (the rest is ok), although I put brand new OEM solenoids 1,5 years ago. Therefore, have a theory that the pump does not give enough pressure, what causes inproper vanos solenoid operation.

Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had never checked Vanos solenoid performance nor run the bleed procedure but they did "buzz" occasionally when the engine was hot. I suppose its quite possible that the failed pump was the cause but it's also possible there's swath in them or the screens ahead of the Vanos adjuster from bearings/pump. It would be nice if the Vanos solenoids were fine since I've already spent FAR too much on parts for this money pit already. Solenoids, throttle actuators and injectors would likely be the next problems... After I replace the fried amplifier though which melted two transistors.

If you suspect the Vanos pump I think it would be very wise to have it pressure checked. I was very lucky but vanos pump failure can be catastrophic. There are threads on here for making one but ECS Tuning sells the fitting needed to install a gauge too. Vanos-oil-pressure-tester. You could go to a stealership too as they should have the tool as well.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts