BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just some short teaser pics of my task for the next few days....

Full DIY(as usual) follows and will be updated in the next few weeks!

Background:

Sipi's beast had the bad habit to throw oil in the airfilters and we tracked it down the bank2 Vanos unit as reason(one bore was clogged with carbon build up)....

Both Vanos units will be rebuild,also the diaphragm springs of the gears updated for less Vanos rattle.Of course the cam timing will be also checked and adjusted!:D

Also a faulty solenoide for the intake cam r etard on bank2 was found and changed.

·
Registered
624 Posts
you need the special tool afterwards to reset the cams, right? looks mighty impressive...

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Very much looking forward to this.

·
Registered
185 Posts
That looks like a pretty scary undertaking! Good luck, though I'm sure you won't need it. Looking forward to reading the write up!

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
you need the special tool afterwards to reset the cams, right? looks mighty impressive...
There is a workaround...

But let's say DIS is a good idea.

Makes it easier as you can shut down the engine in Vanos assembly mode and activate the solenoides(what you do with the special tool usually).

I will also show which solenoide is for intake and exhaust advance and r etard....

Did that already a few times before,so should also work this time.

How to check and adjust the cam timing will get its own DIY thread.

So,here we go:

It makes life easier to have the DIS,go in the service functions and shut down the car in Vanos assembly position.

First remove the intake tubes on both banks.Renove the crank case breathing hoses.
TIS says to drain the coolant and remove the coolant hoses on the t-stat.Bollox,just open the expansion tank cap(when cold) and release the pressure of the system.Is a bit tight,but saves time and work.

The TIS says to use the toggle switch unit and the adapter for air pressure are to use.

No urgently need for both of them.
Removing the solenoides and opening the covers of the pistons(3 boltsper cover,inhex 5mm,tightening torque 8NM),releases all the pressure from the pistons and they move free in and out.Same thing that the compressed air and the toggle switch unit do.

I will give the use of the compressed air adapter and using TIS to activate the solenoides(alternatively also possible to use wires and 12V direct on the solenoides to activate them) a separate chapter later...

Remove the oil lines of the Vanos units(tightening torque 13NM,14mm socket,new crush washers)

Remove the seven bolts of the vanos unit that hold it on the timing case(5mm inhex,tightening torque 8NM)

Put a towel under the unit as oil will drip out.
Gently pry with a screw driver the unit out(see the two areas in the pics).

Hold the unit when pulling it out.

You will find it looks like this once it is out.
Use a 7mm and 10mm wrench and open the COUNTER CLOCKWISE THREADS of the connection piston/helical gear

Support the unit the whole time during the removal.
First of all,mark the position of the radial piston pump to the unit case as the holes in the pump have to meet studs on the intake cam sprocket.Dislocation results in destruction of vanos unit or timing case cover during installation of unit!!!!!!!!!!!

part two how to disassemble the unit follows in the edit of the next post...

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
I'll be watching this one!

Hey, were you going to do a timing DIY also? :S

Dave

·
Registered
543 Posts
you my friend are one brave soul

·
Registered
524 Posts
wish you were my neighbour...........

·
Registered
22 Posts
One nice project going again. Let me guess.. Leo has already reserved next place in line :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
There is a workaround...

But let's say DIS is a good idea.

Makes it easier as you can shut down the engine in Vanos assembly mode and activate the solenoides(what you do with the special tool usually).

I will also show which solenoide is for intake and exhaust advance and r etard....

Did that already a few times before,so should also work this time.

How to check and adjust the cam timing will get its own DIY thread.
Thank god that we eventually got DIS working last winter, I think it was worth of spending hours and hours with different versions of it :) "System is coming up" :grinyes:

Reactions: thevintage
1 - 20 of 91 Posts