BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Sounds like the worse. Definite diagnosis is difficult from audio alone though. Need to check the oil and filter at least.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Spun bearing - guaranteed.

Reactions: ZeroM5

·
Registered
549 Posts
IMO too fast for crank knocking. Appears to be top-end. But yeah we're just guessing here...
The thing that’s suspect is that they got a low oil pressure warning and the car shut off on them 3-4 days ago. Reported what they thought was a rattle or knocking noise from the bottom end in this thread:
Could it be failed VANOS pump bearing race? Maybe the low oil pressure damaged the top end first? I hate speculating like this though.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Spun bearing - guaranteed.
I see you post very moderate assumptions in usual diagnosis questions, scary for you to post a guarantee haha.. I definitely wouldn't doubt this man OP

I was also informed by reading many of previous posts that if you hear the sound under the car, it is likely to be that ^
Also my friends rod bearing was taking on damage and the metal was very noticeable when we examined the oil filter

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I see you post very moderate assumptions in usual diagnosis questions, scary for you to post a guarantee haha..
Once you heard a rod knock on one of these engines, you know it. :)

Reactions: ZeroM5
1 - 10 of 10 Posts