BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hate to be like this.... but I have searched the old threads and seem to get lost in the detail. Could someone give me a simple understanding of what the VANOS system is on our cars and why all the chatter of the failures. I do understand that it has something to do with the oil system but what or why is it unique on these cars. Sorry if this has been discussed before and it is a rookie question.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Oil pressure is used to operate the VANOS. VANOS (Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung) is a variable valve timing technology developed by BMW. It varies the timing of the valves by moving the position of the cams in relation to the drive gear or crankshaft. There were issues with the oil lines leaking, which was not good.

VANOS allows the power band to be widened and gives our cars more low end grunt than they would have without it. Race cars usually remove the VANOS gear. There are several version of variable valve timing from other manufacturers like VTEC, MIVEC, and various VVT systems.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Oil pressure is used to operate the VANOS. VANOS (Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung) is a variable valve timing technology developed by BMW. It varies the timing of the valves by moving the position of the cams in relation to the drive gear or crankshaft. There were issues with the oil lines leaking, which was not good.

VANOS allows the power band to be widened and gives our cars more low end grunt than they would have without it. Race cars usually remove the VANOS gear. There are several version of variable valve timing from other manufacturers like VTEC, MIVEC, and various VVT systems.
I'm impressed! Very nice summary explanation. :) One other important feature, the system has it's own discrete pump which operates @ approx. 650 psi using crankcase oil, but not the lubricating pump(s) for the engine.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Oh God, a little pup tent.....oh my......spot on !!!

·
Registered
164 Posts

So how does the startup noise fit into all this? I assume that the noise goes away after warmup because the oil pressure has built up?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts