BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I know this question has been asked a million times on here now due to this being such a common failure unfortunately! I'm after a little advice as I really don't know where to go from this stage.

So this is my story. 2005 "55" plate car. Mileage is around 93000 miles. Looked after always been serviced when needed etc. Driving the car back in the summer shall we say a little "lively".

Sputters a bit and them "reduced power mode" kicks in. I thought great good old limp mode haven't seen you for a few months how you been.

Goes to garage. They confirm High pressure VANOS oil pump has failed then broken up and shot metal through destroying the main oil pump too.

They advised changing both oil pumps, high pressure lines. New VANOS Solenoids as well as doing Rod bearings as preventative maintenance. They did advise me there was a little wear on the crank on cylinder 1 but not much can be done to resolve that without serious work.

They flushed the engine through 7 times with fresh oil to clear any swarf left over. They advised to take it easy and treat it like a running in period for 1200 miles or so only taking it to 3000rpm.

So I did just that got to 957 miles and was cruising along about 50mph and it dipped out for a second so I turned the music down. Opened the window to take a listen and it sounded like the drums in Phil Collins - In the air tonight was just about to drop so I had to have a second look at the radio in case I left it on. Pulled over and nearly cried....

Recovered back to the garage again. They dropped the oil with loads of swarf again. Currently on the ramps waiting to have the sump dropped again but their gut feeling is not good and that it most probably spun a shell. So I might as well have just set fire to £6k. :(

So my options...

1. Get my engine rebuilt. Spoke to one garage in Rainham called Auto Engines UK I found them advertising engines on eBay who would rebuild my engine for £5k.
Pros - Engine number would match
Cons - I worry that it may not be rebuilt well or last long due the amount of damage mine has suffered already? Also I wouldn't be able to claw any money back from my old engine.

2. Get a reconditioned engine for £5k from same place but they would want my as part exchange.
Pros - 6 month warranty
Cons - The car the engine came from could have been on similar mileage ready for the Vanos pump to die. As the "Reconditioning" process wouldn't include pump I’d imagine?
I have to lose my engine as part exchange. Number would not match.

3. Find a low mileage (if even possible) engine with service history from a donor car.
Pros - I could maybe then split my old engine and maybe claw a little back to help pay for the repair.
Cons - Engine number would not match.
Not sure if that engine could be ready to fail even it was a genuine low mileage engine?

As I've already sunk so much money into the first failed repair I really don't have the funds to spend much more so trying to do this the most cost effective way.

I would love to hear your thoughts?

Also can anyone recommend any good shops around Essex, London area that could either rebuild or supply another engine?

What would you guys do if you were me in general?

P.s - Little pic of the car when it was working last year :) Ahh how I miss those days!

Many Thanks
James

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
That's weird... I'm sure I did a hello post back when I joined. So not sure why it says that's my first post... So Hello again!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
VANOS pump & Rod bearing Failure :( Please help!

Did they flush the oil cooler as well? If not, there could have been a bunch metal trapped in there. Usually you replace it. Don't try to clean it.

If they did bearings and a shell spun, I wonder if they did it right. Let's see.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Come to think of it I don't think they did anything with the oil cooler. They just flushed it through with fresh oil each time. Ran it for a few minutes and then drained and refilled repeat process.

They did say to me at the time that cylinder one had some wear on the crank but at that point I said lets continue with the repair due to not having much option with the crank. I was hoping it was going to last a little while at least but I don't have seem to have much luck. :(

·
Registered
440 Posts
Did they flush the oil cooler as well? If not, there could have been a bunch metal trapped in there. Usually you replace it. Don't try to clean it.

If they did bearings and a shell spun, I wonder if they did it right. Let's see.
What is the right way and the wrong way to do spun bearings??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts