BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2007 E64 M6 - 3 pedals
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm sure this is a topic that has been beat to death somewhere on this board, however my question specifically surrounds the type of dial indicator used.

TIS it indicates a lever style indicator, however I only have a Mitutoyo S1012EX 0.0005" (0.01mm) plunge style indicator with various tips. In my mind, I'm pretty sure that using this type of indicator will work fine if installed correctly, but as I'm down another 3500 bucks for my new Vanos pump I really want to make sure that I'm not overlooking something before I close up my engine up (hopefully for good).

FYI, The tip of the tool is zeroed under tension resting on a tooth pointing to the center of the pulley.

Can someone experienced in this, kindly sanity check what I've done?

Thank you so much in advance for taking a look.

Imperial:

Metric:

·
Administrator
3,321 Posts
By measuring radius arc at a greater radius than the pump gear itself your measurements will be different. If you can point your dial at the gear radius in a perfect tangent then you'll get the correct reading. I tried this and failed as the gear teeth are angled. I ended up buying a test indicator for this. Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
2007 E64 M6 - 3 pedals
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hey Flacoramous, I really appreciate your quick reply, this isn't the first time you've come to my rescue.

I see your point with the angled teeth and the larger radius. The angled tip on the dial indicator which probably added 1/4" to the radius of the measured lash which I would alter the measurement but I'm unsure of by what degree. I too wondered whether I could trust that measurement for the same reason so I also used a narrowed (straight) tip set on the very tip of a tooth which yielded the exact same measurement which I would think would be a good confirmation.

As I mentioned in my post, I'm looking to sanity check my own thoughts on this. I'm essentially canvassing the neighborhood of experienced folks to determine if I should buy a lever style indicator to determine what I may already have with the equipment that I've used. :)

Thanks again for your thoughts and any that may follow.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.