BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

I have rebuild an SB85 engine that had a failed rod bearing that scorched the cranck and I also had scratched cylinders so went out for un new block with pistons beacause to repair mine was nearly the prize of a new one counting shipping ;(
Done nearly everything I am just a little worried about the positioning of the vanos pump. I don't really understand how to measure the backlash any advice ? In TIS it isn't so well explanied

Also for the sealing compound in-between the block and bedplate what can I use to inject the loctite? I have bought the sealing compound at bmw but I don't have the right nozzles to inject it, will a tube with a hole in the center do it ? and bmw don't seem to even know what I am talking about when asking them for the right nozzles

Cheers

Have a nice day

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would be interested to know how and what tools you used to measure the the backlash if you don't mind when you figured it out.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
need a dial gauge I think but I don't know what to measure :(

Check out the thread 'Boom goes the dynamite' from Jcolley where he had a stuck open injector and ended up doing rod bearings, injectors, and vanos pump. He has pictures on this thread detailing the vanos pump setup with dial indicator measuring backlash. This thread is long but its all in there. Check it out.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've read already but still have doughts on what exactly what has to be measured :/

And the selling process is still not very clear between the block and bedplate

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Sorry I only have a few seconds to post, got your PM and will respond here with greater detail either later tonight or in the morning about setting backlash. Really its very simple...

The bedplate injection however, no experience there. I would recommend the S85 guru, VantaaM5 for advice here and I think Troy Jeup has done a few.

T

·
0 Posts
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1400941493.124696.jpg

Yes you can.

Speaking of JColley... Lol. Here is his old pump.

You have to buy new vanos gear wheel and a matching new front crank gear to do this correctly.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks Troy!! What would you say that most common issue is for a failing Vanos pump? The old style gear teeth breaking or the internal of the pump? Do the old and new style pump have the same gear backlash?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think they have the same backlash
it's for the oil pump chain tension that you have to put some sort of washer under the vanos pump on pumps up to 12/05

T

·
0 Posts
I think the early pimps failed because of the tooth design. It seems to not contact all the way, so I think it wobbles or flexes as compared to the newer long tooth design.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 20 of 38 Posts