BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry my first post is for technical help,my mechanic has replaced both Vanos units on my1999 M5 with reconditioned ones and we now have this problem.Email from my independant BMW mechanic below.Any information greatly appreciated.:confused2

Thanks David

We have a problem with oil being pumped back up the drain at the front of the intake plenum.

Our investigation indicates that this is oil coming from the L/H vanos unit, possibly due to leaking 'O' rings.

We also have a fault code "(114) 72 Exhaust VANOS, Bank 2, function".

·
Registered
637 Posts
Sorry my first post is for technical help,my mechanic has replaced both Vanos units on my1999 M5 with reconditioned ones and we now have this problem.Email from my independant BMW mechanic below.Any information greatly appreciated.:confused2

Thanks David

We have a problem with oil being pumped back up the drain at the front of the intake plenum.

Our investigation indicates that this is oil coming from the L/H vanos unit, possibly due to leaking 'O' rings.

If you search for these peak codes you will probably find a plethora of threads. Not being the Search Police, but just trying to help you. I believe the general consensus is that there are very few actual vanos failures and that a majority of supposed failures were due to bad CPS(cam position sensors), solenoids, or possibly bad orings.

·
Registered
404 Posts

Thanks David

1) who were they reconditioned by ?
2) sounds like bad o-rings to me

·
Registered
12,398 Posts

Thanks David

Welcome David-

It sounds like your mechanic does not have the necessary tools and training for this motor. Always an uncomfortable and difficult position.

Is he only reading "codes"? Does he have a computer (GT1, Autogenuity, etc) that will allow VANOS tsting?

A rebuilt VANOS must have new Orings. If this is the problem, it should be replaced at no cost to you.

Just in the last few days there have been a few threads on VANOS issues. Indeed, I started one in which an indy told me I needed a rebuilt vanos at $US 1600. $100 in orings and a few Cam Position sensors and it was back on track. For many shops it is simply easier to replace the whole vanos than mess with components.

Please spend a few hours and read up.

Let us know where the rebuilt was sourced.

A

PS Hunter Valley is a very nice corner of the world.:byee55amg

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I sourced a pair of rebuilt Vanos units ( o rings and solenoids ) from Dr Vanos,my BMW independant mechanic has been in business 27 years in Sydney.As only 340 e39 m5 were imported to Oz it it hard to find people with lots of experience ,Having said that I was referred by a couple of mates with M series cars who have had no problems using this repair shop.

·
Registered
797 Posts
hiha

We're here to help...

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Does he have a GT1 to test the vanos?

He will NOT charge you for new o rings for the rebuilt vanos since they are supposed to come with new orings...right?

I think you will feel a sinking feeling as you come to read that most "bad vanos" are just bad hydraulic circuits in the vanos (solenoids fouled, orings, etc) and the vanos itself are often times fine....

GL

A

1 - 8 of 8 Posts