BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I have spent lots of time reading everything I can find on the forum regarding the vanos issues, unfortunately what is happening with mine seems to be a little different.

A little background to begin with. I was fortunate enough to find a 2002 M5 that had never been put into service (long story which there is a thread on) and so I have the original manufacturer's warranty until December of 2010 or 50,000 miles. So my I am confident that this will get fixed, eventually.

The noise my car makes is only when the car is cold. However, where mine differs from others is that the noise does not go away fully until the engine temp is running at its 'normal' levels and the oil temp is into its 'normal' operating range. So where others only experience the rattle for a few seconds my lasts for a couple of minutes and only happens when the car is under load and moving. There is no rattle if I just sit in my driveway or a parking lot and rev the engine, the car actually has to be moving.

So I am looking for some thoughts, suggests, etc. my tech so far says no worries that this is not hurting anything (not sure I believe him).

Thanks,
Pete

·
Registered
543 Posts
Does the noise increase with speed or stay the same?

·
Registered
543 Posts
oh - and i assume its coming from the engine compartment...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The noise sounds and feels like it is forward and to the right of the shift lever. I am not sure the the engine compartment is accurate. At first I thought it was a catalytic converter but I was assured after a trip to the dealer the catalytic converters were functioning normally. And the noise does increase with speed or throttle pressure (but not when in neutral).

Thanks.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Did a couple of searches and the only thing i found is something called a guibo - need to do some checking but apparently its connected to the driveshaft and wears out. Given the fact that i am technically challenged, i may not be helping but just adding questions.

-Kmac

·
Registered
543 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Definitely not the guibo. But thanks for the effort.

When I am driving it for the first time after several hours rest (i.e. when its cold) you can actually hear the noise as well as feel it come from the underside of the vehicle near the transmission and firewall. To me it feels like it would be where parts of the exhaust system are, hence the reason I originally thought it was the catalytic converter.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Couldnt be as simple as an exhaust hanger could it?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can only hope. The only reason that I don't think that would be the case is that if it were a hanger i would expect the noise regardless of engine/oil temp.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts