BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Barry Lausch said:
When a problem goes into PUMA stage service, the factory is in control and the dealership's hands are tied...The end of the story (I hope!) goes like this...
Even more amazing.:confused3 Hope the '08 is perfect in every way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Barry Lausch said:
New 08 with SMG is manufactured and @ the port waiting for ship assignment. Past experience tells me in about two weeks I'll have a new car compliments of BMWNA. I'm 54 years old and have never experienced anything like this before. The process was a bit trying but BMW did the the right thing, that's what matters to me.
My dealer is offering me a new '07 with the same exact configuration as my '07 E60. Any reason to hold out for an '08 or are the cars basically the same (I'm leasing so I don't care about resale value)?

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I would go ahead and hold out for the '08 because you can. You'll get some small interior modifications, mostly for the better IMO, as well as the several user-changeable preset buttons to help automate some of the setting changes you want to make to just one button.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
CSBM5 said:
The bright side of this story is that you get to take delivery of a THIRD E60 M5. :)
With a new E60...you get another free driving school! Here is me volunteering to attend with you! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
With a new E60...you get another free driving school! Here is me volunteering to attend with you! :thumbsup:
I hate to admit this but I'm ready to take delivery of my 7th M5 and I have yet to take advantage of the Spartanburg experience.

I am driving my repaired E60 for the 4th day with no problems.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I hope someone from BMW does read this board info. I don't think they understand how the people who buy these cars think and react to this BS.
Just for the record BMWNA has contacted me as a direct response to the information on this thread directly. Without going into all the details suffice it to say they are very much concerned about our satisfaction. So remember your not alone out there, they read this board and react accordingly.

Good PR and a happy ending.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Just for the record BMWNA has contacted me as a direct response to the information on this thread directly. Without going into all the details suffice it to say they are very much concerned about our satisfaction. So remember your not alone out there, they read this board and react accordingly.

Good PR and a happy ending.

Nice. that is what I like to hear. Barry, I'm glad that this whole situation worked out for you.cherrsagai

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Just for the archives sake, I picked up my new 08 M5 on Tuesday, April 10, 2008. Cost me three signatures. One document is basically a "hold harmless release", meaning I won't persue any damages beyond replacement of the vehicle and that this transaction satisfies any future claims against the mfg. (BMW). Good deal.............life goes on.:cool:

·
Registered
378 Posts
Just for the archives sake, I picked up my new 08 M5 on Tuesday, April 10, 2008. Cost me three signatures. One document is basically a "hold harmless release", meaning I won't persue any damages beyond replacement of the vehicle and that this transaction satisfies any future claims against the mfg. (BMW). Good deal.............life goes on.:cool:
Wonder if you are the only person in the U.S. (outside of a dealership owner or something) to own each model year in the E60? :haha: Glad to hear it all worked out :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
That wasn't the plan, but s*** happens. The 08 is just about perfect, the exhaust note is a bit different(better), a little more ballsy.........didn't expect that.:cool2:

·
Registered
173 Posts
That wasn't the plan, but s*** happens. The 08 is just about perfect, the exhaust note is a bit different(better), a little more ballsy.........didn't expect that.:cool2:
Barry:
Nice to know about the exhaust sound difference. I can hardly wait. I'm hoping to have my car by this time next Saturday (April 21).

I hadn't read this thread before and didn't know about your problems. I thought you just wanted a new M5 every year!! :cool:

Enjoy! I know I will!:applause:

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Hi Canuck,

It started out as a new car order just before the Vanos problems began. The timing was pretty ironic but timely. And yep, you're gonna love it............this is the best one yet. The hard part is the break-in period, although the end result is worth the wait.:cool2:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hi Canuck,

It started out as a new car order just before the Vanos problems began. The timing was pretty ironic but timely. And yep, you're gonna love it............this is the best one yet. The hard part is the break-in period, although the end result is worth the wait.:cool2:
I'll be gentle on the break in. I'm going to spend 2 months driving "slowly" around town to learn all the features, and SMG. Then I have a trip to Newfoundland planned for the first week of July to complete the break in. I already have an appointment at the Halifax dealer for the first service. They've done about a dozen over the past 2 years. I might even take a trip to the Autoport to see where my car arrived.
After the service, I'll be driving the "twisties" on Newfoundland roads. It'll give me a "feel" for what the Newfoundland Targa race is all about. :eek:

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Wait till it feels like your favorite pair of shoes before you let it fly (especially with DSC off & 500 HP). It will get away from you unless your last name is Schumacher............what a way to go. (Just in case my life insurance carrier monitors this board, "just kidding"):cool2:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Has anyone had the engine warning light, reduced horsepower warning and service engine soon hat trick. Took the car to the Dealer Service Department where the diagnosis is double Vanos failure check vanos oil pressure. Dealers response is we have nothing to check 6,000 psi. Next comes remove and replace vanos oil pump...........of course they don't seem to exist (maybe in Germany, who knows). The service manager asks what would you like me to do. Fix the car please. He's making phone calls to a higher power.

I suggested they steal a pump from a black on black 6 speed on the parking lot, that didn't go well either. I'm on the verge of getting ugly. It pisses me off when the dealer and the mother ship can't communicate and the customer suffers.
Hello Barry,

I understand this not a new post and I am a new to the forum, but would like to learn about the H.P. VANOS pump. I have one out of engine now. Is there a way to test? Rebuild for insurance against failure?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Mr. P

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello Barry,

I understand this not a new post and I am a new to the forum, but would like to learn about the H.P. VANOS pump. I have one out of engine now. Is there a way to test? Rebuild for insurance against failure?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Mr. P
The main thing to know is that for model year 08+ the pump was updated to be more reliable. The easiest way to tell is that the teeth on the main gear are longer / more pointy. If you have an older M5 (05,06,07) you can update them with the newer version of this part. If you search on the site you can find the part number and confirm which version you have --- I am not familiar enough to tell just by looking at it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hello Highlandair,

Thank you for the response. VANOS H.P. Pumps so expensive and inaccessible that I want to confirm pump before engine assembly. I will of course replace the internal H.P. line as preventative maintenance.

I have a second engine arriving later this week. I will strip it as I have done with my current engine and compare pumps.

Unfortunately, the bore on cylinders #8 and #10 are terrible as received. Hoping second engine is in better health!

Mr. P

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello Highlandair,

Thank you for the response. VANOS H.P. Pumps so expensive and inaccessible that I want to confirm pump before engine assembly. I will of course replace the internal H.P. line as preventative maintenance.

I have a second engine arriving later this week. I will strip it as I have done with my current engine and compare pumps.

Unfortunately, the bore on cylinders #8 and #10 are terrible as received. Hoping second engine is in better health!

Mr. P
I hope your new engine is in good condition. It might also be worthwhile to checkout DrVanos -- S85 V10 Vanos

They sell aftermarket, refurbished, and OEM S85 parts. Their rebuilt and tested Vanos pump is $1900. Worth looking into if you are on a budget. I wish you good luck with your project!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I hope your new engine is in good condition. It might also be worthwhile to checkout DrVanos -- S85 V10 Vanos

They sell aftermarket, refurbished, and OEM S85 parts. Their rebuilt and tested Vanos pump is $1900. Worth looking into if you are on a budget. I wish you good luck with your project!
Thank you Hifhlandair,

I have found "DrVanos" and order an H.P. VANOS line for now.

Will also continue to study VANOS pump system.

Mr .P

41 - 59 of 59 Posts