BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had the engine warning light, reduced horsepower warning and service engine soon hat trick. Took the car to the Dealer Service Department where the diagnosis is double Vanos failure check vanos oil pressure. Dealers response is we have nothing to check 6,000 psi. Next comes remove and replace vanos oil pump...........of course they don't seem to exist (maybe in Germany, who knows). The service manager asks what would you like me to do. Fix the car please. He's making phone calls to a higher power.

I suggested they steal a pump from a black on black 6 speed on the parking lot, that didn't go well either. I'm on the verge of getting ugly. It pisses me off when the dealer and the mother ship can't communicate and the customer suffers.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Barry Lausch said:
Has anyone had the engine warning light, reduced horsepower warning and service engine soon hat trick. Took the car to the Dealer Service Department where the diagnosis is double Vanos failure check vanos oil pressure. Dealers response is we have nothing to check 6,000 psi. Next comes remove and replace vanos oil pump...........of course they don't seem to exist (maybe in Germany, who knows). The service manager asks what would you like me to do. Fix the car please. He's making phone calls to a higher power.

I suggested they steal a pump from a black on black 6 speed on the parking lot, that didn't go well either. I'm on the verge of getting ugly. It pisses me off when the dealer and the mother ship can't communicate and the customer suffers.
Call BMWNA. For $100k you deserve a lot more. I'm going through a similar issue and I'm at a point where I'm not willing to accept a "sorry for the inconvenience" speech from my dealer. My car has been on a flatbed three times in 15 months. Thursday I got the SMG failure/red cog and barely avoided an accident on a busy road. I've been a big supporter of the M brand (3 M cars in 4 years) but this has gone well beyond what is acceptable. The issue that really upsets me is the lack of communication between the dealers and BMWNA.

·
Registered
622 Posts
WOW!!! Sorry to hear about all this. the bst thing you can do is complain and document al of it.Save emails and all trips to the dealer I mean the tow truck receipt if there is one. Everything!!!

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Barry Lausch said:

10days later I get the car back with a new vanos high presure pump. Iwas invited back to the service area to see the installation half completed. Front wheels off, front subframe dropped, oil pan off. Beautiful machine from that viewpoint, but what a shame, this car only has 2,400 miles on the ODO. Vanos pump looks like a piece of jewelry.

Anyway I pick up the car yesterday and drive home, approx. 20 mi. About a mile out I get the oil level low warning. It's .4 Liter below min. I call service and arrange to have oil delivered to a location where I can pick it up last evening, added approx. .7 liter as not to overfill as I don't trust that oil sensor (nor does BMW service personnel). Off to work I go, no more oil warnings, although the indicator will now read nothing. About 5 min out the car goes into Engine malfunction mode with reduced horsepower which was my original problem. I pull over, shut her down, reboot the computers (I guess), off I go. 15 miles later it happens again, which conviently is 1 mile from the BMW dealership, I pull in and the service dept. guys look like deer in the headlights. They all scurry about trying to find me a loaner so that they can get me the hell out of there before I loose it and they can have a circle jerk puma file session. I hand em the key a leave with the parting shot i 'd hang around but I've got to go make some money so that I can pay for that 100K car that I have no use of. What a cluster. I've always been a soldier for God when it came to BMW but this is absurd.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Same here at 300mi. Took about a month, though it was over the holidays. Came back shy some oil, too, so the light was doing its thing. Has been running like a champ since (er, so far?), though - aside from full-time DSC ('nother thread, though).

First E39 (an early '00) lunched four Vanos (including original) and a tranny. Second one ('03) only went in for oil changes (and tires). Never know. Pretty fun when they're tip top, though.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tenney said:
Same here at 300mi. Took about a month, though it was over the holidays. Came back shy some oil, too, so the light was doing its thing. Has been running like a champ since (er, so far?), though - aside from full-time DSC ('nother thread, though).

First E39 (an early '00) lunched four Vanos (including original) and a tranny. Second one ('03) only went in for oil changes (and tires). Never know. Pretty fun when they're tip top, though.
Was the hi pressure vanos pump the underlying problem or was it something else.? Service and engineering act like this car was manufactured by another company.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In all fairness, this is #6 M5 and my second E60 and this is the first "mystery" problem i've had.......doesn't make it any less frustrating. Tomorrow starts week #3.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hey Barry, sorry to hear of your woes. Last year my 06 had a similar issue, reduced power, engine light etc. Dealer found it to be a fuel injection module had gone bad after doing a PUMA (Produce under management action) review. All good now, running awesome, touch wood. Hope this helps. Also had the engine light go on again recently and it was something to do with the 02 sensor, which was fixed. Its temperamental, but what do you expect from a vaguley disguised race car in street clothing!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Barry Lausch said:
Was the hi pressure vanos pump the underlying problem or was it something else.? Service and engineering act like this car was manufactured by another company.
Never 'officially' diagnosed. Was told some debris was found in the Vanos. Cleaned and went through it, but the light returned (on them) - so they replaced it. So far, so good.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
warrenatc said:
Hey Barry, sorry to hear of your woes. Last year my 06 had a similar issue, reduced power, engine light etc. Dealer found it to be a fuel injection module had gone bad after doing a PUMA (Produce under management action) review. All good now, running awesome, touch wood. Hope this helps. Also had the engine light go on again recently and it was something to do with the 02 sensor, which was fixed. Its temperamental, but what do you expect from a vaguley disguised race car in street clothing!
Thanks for the lead. I've passed this along to the dealership via the underground as a well informed opinion. Let's see what they do with it.......

You would think if this scenario happened before it would be part of BMW's data base as well as the successful solution. I keep forgetting this isn't a F-15.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Barry Lausch said:
Thanks for the lead. I've passed this along to the dealership via the underground as a well informed opinion. Let's see what they do with it.......

You would think if this scenario happened before it would be part of BMW's data base as well as the successful solution. I keep forgetting this isn't a F-15.
Just for the record today begins week three of this fiasco. It's one thing to have a problem like this but the real rub is lack of communication for Dealer Service...............NOTHING. This is my 7th BMW and #8 is an 08 just specd' this week. I am on the verge of cancelling the order. Sometimes you just got to vote with your feet and your wallet.............this isn't a GD Toyota. Who am I kidding...........if it was a Toyota it wouldn't be in the shop.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Barry Lausch said:
Just for the record today begins week three of this fiasco. It's one thing to have a problem like this but the real rub is lack of communication for Dealer Service...............NOTHING. This is my 7th BMW and #8 is an 08 just specd' this week. I am on the verge of cancelling the order. Sometimes you just got to vote with your feet and your wallet.............this isn't a GD Toyota. Who am I kidding...........if it was a Toyota it wouldn't be in the shop.
I hope someone from BMW does read this board info. I don't think they understand how the people who buy these cars think and react to this BS.

·
Registered
144 Posts
phone number please

Hi all-

I'm in for CES light, and I'm told PUMA said vanos pump.

Its taking a while to get it done.

If someone could please gimme the mothership's phone number, I have some thoughts/comments for them.

Thank you in advance,

WL

·
Registered
27 Posts
Barry Lausch said:
I hope someone from BMW does read this board info. I don't think they understand how the people who buy these cars think and react to this BS.
Not trying to rub it in, but really, if you don't want to deal with service departments, lame navigation, problems here problems there, buy a Lexus. No limited diff, no 500hp, no SMG, no HUD, no as good handling... but it's built to take you from A to B with speed, comfort, style AND reliability.

I was ready to pull the trigger on an M5, but after reading about the VANOS/SMG problems and the treatment people get at the dealerships, I am shying away from it. I'll stick with Lexus for daily driving, and perhaps get an EVO IX MR, mod it to 330 WHP (very easy) and play with that when I feel like it.

·
Registered
532 Posts
zebekias said:
Not trying to rub it in, but really, if you don't want to deal with service departments, lame navigation, problems here problems there, buy a Lexus. No limited diff, no 500hp, no SMG, no HUD, no as good handling... but it's built to take you from A to B with speed, comfort, style AND reliability.

I was ready to pull the trigger on an M5, but after reading about the VANOS/SMG problems and the treatment people get at the dealerships, I am shying away from it. I'll stick with Lexus for daily driving, and perhaps get an EVO IX MR, mod it to 330 WHP (very easy) and play with that when I feel like it.
Aaaahh but then you won't experience that v10 wail to 8250 or the roller coaster high-speed acceleration nor that click-click s6 shift action, don't you see the problem here...Can't live with it, Can't live without it. I really miss my M5 more and more everyday, have to say thought i had the habit kicked for a few months but now the 997s is not completely filling the void....What am i going to tell the wife now?

·
Registered
27 Posts
catdog said:
Aaaahh but then you won't experience that v10 wail to 8250 or the roller coaster high-speed acceleration nor that click-click s6 shift action, don't you see the problem here...Can't live with it, Can't live without it. I really miss my M5 more and more everyday, have to say thought i had the habit kicked for a few months but now the 997s is not completely filling the void....What am i going to tell the wife now?
If the M5 had something better than the iDrive and it was reliable like a Lexus, it'd be a dream car. But you can't have your cake and eat it I suppose. Maybe with the 997t or the Z06, but they don't have the convenience of a 4 door sedan. Tell the wife you WANT more muscle. No need to explain yourself - when it comes to cars, you are the boss. She can be the boss in house matters.

;-)

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Vanos pump has been replaced, No workee! Now we replaced the oil accumulator for the vanos system. I'll keep you posted...........today is day 19. can anyone spell LEMON.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts