BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today i did the vanos solenoid o rings and everything went well until i start her up.

now the idle is bumbling and it is not running smooth.

what is wrong?

thanks.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Loose wiring connection/bad solder joint, I reckon.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i checked the wiring and soldering visualy and it looked ok.

is it posible that i snapped one or more o rings?

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
i checked the wiring and soldering visualy and it looked ok.

is it posible that i snapped one or more o rings?

I don't think those O rings really snap, but perhaps this maybe the case. But I don't think it will show the symptoms you say you have.

I do know that if you remove and re install the solenoid board you COULD mess up some of the wiring connections.

Did you tension the Vanos Solenoid cover tensioning screws ? Or do you have the old style Vanos Solenoid Covers ?

You may have even dislodged bits of the gauze filters, which may now be clogging up one of the solenoids.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the filters where gone,still litle peaces where there so i cut away the rest of it.

i tensioned the 4 bolts on 16 nm.

i want to take it a part but there is a lot of pressure on the solenoids,how can i get the pressure off?

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
i want to take it a part but there is a lot of pressure on the solenoids,how can i get the pressure off?
I don't know what you mean here ?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I have these parts too; just turned 100k and she is running tip top...This is my worst fear: Doing a preventative maintenance item and coming out worse than i started: Have no answers but I feel your pain brother...

Subscribed...

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
i mean that there is a lot off oil pressure on the vanos system.
Yes, so what happened the first time you removed the solenoids ?

Why would anything be different this time around ?

Cheers

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the first time the car did not run for 24 hours,the second time it was warm.

now i am done whit the second try and it is stil no good.

i double check every soldering and wire.

what more can i do wrong?

·
Registered
404 Posts
the first time the car did not run for 24 hours,the second time it was warm.

now i am done whit the second try and it is stil no good.

i double check every soldering and wire.

what more can i do wrong?

Did you check the operation of them individually by applying voltage to them? If not, I suspect that a solder connection may have cracked, and you might not beable to see it with th naked eye very well. The O rings you replaced would not cause the symptoms you described unless you ripped them which you have already checked. The only two other options are a small clog, or a bad solder / solenoid.

GL, I plan on freshing up the vanos system this month myself.

C

·
Registered
348 Posts
Based on my past experience doing this job it certainly sounds like you have a bad solder or maybe you pinched the one of the wires when removing/installing it and it's grounding? Otherwise I would say bad solenoid. Do you have a code reader?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
By 'Freshening up" do you mean replacing the O Rings? I would like to observe/help you do this in prep for doing mine (maybe in conjunction with?) I am also in LA area...Shoot me a PM if you are game...

·
Registered
404 Posts
By 'Freshening up" do you mean replacing the O Rings? I would like to observe/help you do this in prep for doing mine (maybe in conjunction with?) I am also in LA area...Shoot me a PM if you are game...

Yep, I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
is t possible that there was some air in the system,car runs fine the other day.

No likely,the Vanos bleeds within max 30 seconds running.....

Seems like it is an intermittent problem.

Which is usually electrical,either bad solder joint,wire issue or solenoid itself!

It only makes sense to start trouble shoot with specific error codes,which should be there given your description how the car runs...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts