BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I searched... :thumbsup:

We looked at yet another M5 today (2001 vintage), the car ran strong, and seemed flawless with the exception of noise from one or both VANOS units.

The question I have... What is an 'acceptable' noise level from them (the clattering/rattling)? It was present both when the car was cold and warm, and couldn't be heard from the outside with the hood closed. Once the hood was opened it was blatantly obvious... Sounded almost like a bad lifter on an older engine.

Thank you!

·
Registered
988 Posts
Mine is noisy also. My car has 90k on it, and like your experience, is very notceable when the hood is raised. What I did, was to take a long handled screwdriver and actually listened at various points along the valve covers, etc to satisfy myself that it was in fact noise dedicated to the vanos system alone. The oil changes on the car are done every 5k or so, and the car runs fine. If you have the advantage of warranty coverage and can get the dealer to renew the vanos you are in a good place..You do get used to it, and it does not appear to hamper engine performance at all. That is my take on it...good luck..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just a quick question for you guys,
Does any of you know if the 4.4L V-8 in the '99 540i have VANOS?
Yes, it has single VANOS. The M62 TU V8 debuted second generation single VANOS in 1999. It's steplessly variable, like the Double VANOS system, not the two-stage system that was used in the M50TU, M52, S50 U.S. and S52.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Yeah I am still not used to the Vanos rattling. I hate it! My M5 sounds like an old diesel Mercedes. Car runs flawlessly otherwise.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Normal. It should be a discernable (but not excessive) sound even with the hood closed. It seems some may be a little louder than others.

Dave

·
Registered
446 Posts
Glad to hear this. I was concerned today and heard that "diesel sound"

It doesn't SEEM excessive, but I don't know what excessive is really.

If there is a problem with the VANOS do you get a CEL or does it just make tons of noise?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I am pretty sure that most cars sound like this. There are few things to consider though, when you start the engine you will here loud rattling which should only last for max 3 seconds then it will settle down to a fante diesel sound this is normal, if the car has not been driven for a while once the rattling has gone there might be a ticking sound which should go within the first few startup's.
Anything other than what I have mention could mean you have a problem of some sort.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I've seen dozens of E39 M5s in all walks of good to fantastic condition and they all except one had noticable Vanos noise. All but one, my M5 techs personal E39 M5 did not make a Vanos peep. I wish mine did not make any noise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts