BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cause: Unfavorable tolerance between the gear hub/sleeve and shaft . Fix: Install modified shaft(PN 4 781 417 -1x) with increased diameter, refer to Repair Instructions 11 36 070/ 11 36 080/ 11 36 090. Problem was corrected for 6/2000 production and later. (setpoint <0.2mm) in the VANOS gear itself.

------------------

·
Registered
75 Posts
Is this fix the earlier "repair kit" that has been available for some time now - and has proved unreliable, or the "new set of wheels" proposing to be a permanent fix?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Parerfe, I called my bmw dealer with the part numbers adn the repair instructions, and they indicated that the numbers I gave them are inconsistent with their repair instructions and part numbers. Do you have any other information that could help?

Thanks

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by steveB:
Parerfe, I called my bmw dealer with the part numbers adn the repair instructions, and they indicated that the numbers I gave them are inconsistent with their repair instructions and part numbers. Do you have any other information that could help?

Thanks
Its the numbers I got from a BMWNA engineer.

·
Registered
58 Posts
At Spartanburg last week -- the regional engineer said that there is a fix for the noise but that the dealers would only fix upon request.

·
Registered
533 Posts
is the VANOS noise the same as idle engine knocking when first starting the car?

some mechanic friends of mine said it sounded really bad and to take it into bmw.

is this what you're are talking about?

------------------
00' ///M5 Titanium Silver/Caramel
00' Vette convertible NBM

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have a friend in the UK who just had much of the VANOS replaced on his M3... that's right an M3. It was so loud, it actually sounded like something was loose in the vents or A/C. Strangely, I have no problems with VANOS on may 01/00 build M5... nor any clutch problems... and I am not known to be "good to the equipment."

Dan

·
Registered
27 Posts
Jester (and others),

Yeah, that was the sound in mine. Here is a close-up picture of the new pump which finally fixed the problem. The modification was done on BMW initiative and expense.

The replacement of parts listed earlier in this thread did not cure the problem when I had it done some months ago.

Søren

·
Registered
27 Posts
Jester, it's the pump on the central front part of the engine, sitting on top of the water pump (I think...) Also, the tubes shielded in metallic mesh, leading to each VANOS are knew, more capacity?

There's another pic in the other VANOS thread here: "Now there's hope for......", giving a larger view.

Søren

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hello,

Could anyone help me describe what this "diesel" noise sound is like? I have never owned a diesel-engine vehicle. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Soren, I checked that pic below against my 7/00 production and the only difference I see is a extra metalic hose at the foward end of the pump that doubles with another one. Is this correct? And where does it go from there, your pic does not show that part. It appears to be the same pump, only another oil hose added to me.

------------------
Jim
00 M5 Titanium over Red

·
Registered
27 Posts
Jim, I took a quick look.

I presume that the device in the picture is an auxiliary pump. As you can see, compared to the rest of the engine, this one is newly installed. My car was built 07/99 and I dont't really remember what that area of the engine looked like before.

The mesh-shielded tube on the top connects to some device on the left front of the engine. There are 2 connectors/distributors on the front of the pump, the innermost has mesh-shielded tubes running to each top front of the engine and the outermost connects to a black slim metal pipe, which in turn is connected to a rubber hose that disappers from view below the big coolant hose on the right.

I'm sure that never cars than mine will have some if not all of this in place, it would be nice if owners of 98 and 99 built cars would take a look and report back.

Søren

·
Registered
33 Posts
HI guys...

I sent the thread with the pictures to my M technician who pissed himself laughing. It seems that the new pre-pump is located on the BOTTOM of the engine beside the sump and can only be seen from below.

I believe that he said it is circular in shape with an electrical cable feeding into it and hose(s) going from it up to the Vanos units.

I tried to get him to give us the official photos that he has in his possession but he demurred... Can't fault a bloke for trying, eh? The pump is designed to pressurise the Vanos system with oil at startup time.

I'll try and find out more at my next service on Monday (just about to crack the 50,000km).

Cheers
Andrew E
'99 M5

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sounds right to me.

What is the device in the picture then - a distributor? When your pants-wetting technician has cleaned himself up, maybe he would explain the full workings of the system to us mere mortals?

Cheers,
Søren

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Soren and Andrewe

This makes sense now. The extra foward hose that soren said goes down below is probable the hose running from that new pump up to the oil block as shown in the pic. Giving a jolt of oil right from the crack case to the vanos system above.

Make sense???

------------------
Jim
00 M5 Titanium over Red

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Note: The oil pumps in your car are mechanical and therefore very reliable. Electric pumps are usually reserved for gas and other fluids which are not as critical.

Therefore, I muse, I would be surprised if BMW considered an electric oil pump as a permanent fix. If it fails you would hardly notice but the damage one assumes would take place over a period of time would not be noticed until to late. Perhaps this electric connection is for something else like a solenoid operated valve that turns the thing on and off when the car heats up. Interesting!!

Also, if the hose breaks or leaks with a shut off the car could be drained of oil very quickly.

------------------
Jim
00 M5 Titanium over Red

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just paid a quick visit to the dealer at lunchtime. They showed me the description of the modification as contained on their CD-ROMs.

The new pump is indeed located as described by Andrewe. The device in my picture is a distributor/return flow regulator. Bear in mind though that this was all explained to me in French, so I'm not a 100% sure. Likewise, I'm not sure whether the pump keeps running after engine start or not.

Andrew, if you're seeing your technician on Monday, could you try and clarify this?

Cheers,
Søren

·
Registered
46 Posts
News from the Flake and Diesel front: After sending an e-mail to the BMW website in the BMW Owner's Circle area, the very next day I received a phone call from BMW. A Mr. Robert Russo from BMW North America left me a voice mail and verified there is a gear replacement in the VANOS mechanicals addressing the noise issue. He also said the shift knob materials have been changed to address the peeling and flaking issue. No mention of the door or trim panels being changed or a clutch issue affecting the majority of cars, other than on an individual basis. He instructed me to contact my local BMW Center to have these addressed. I already have the new shift knob. It's ok at this point but it's only been a couple weeks. I wrote BMW about these issues because my local BMW Center didn't have a clue about the VANOS issue. Maybe the word's getting out to them finally.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts